Archinect
anchor

Converting .avi to .mov

threshold

Is there a utility (free?) out there to convert Windows .avi files to Quicktime .mov files? I want to embed them in a webpage and from what I read the avi's will be a cross-platform and cross-browser problem.

Aug 3, 04 3:10 pm
hanimal

dave - do you mean ultility for a software? or a software that converts directly from avi to mov?

i've done a little bit of this and there's nothing better out there than adobe premiere for this type of conversion.

as for the internet, i think flash 2004 pro is the way to go. they have very good video handling capabilities now. there's no need to worry about extensions.

and yes, avi will have more cross-platform/browser issues than mov.

Aug 3, 04 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

I don't know of any free programs that do what you are asking. Quicktime Pro ($29 legit, free if you know where to look) will convert to .mov, and has pretty good compression.

That's a little closer to your price range than Premiere and Flash.

Aug 3, 04 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
JG

try CNET at download.com

or versiontracker.com (it's for Mac's but they may have quicktime ultilites).

Aug 3, 04 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

I just have a few of these to do so I didn't want to buy some pricy software for it but Quicktime Pro at thirty bucks is great. I need it to work at the office so Mac-based solutions are out (thanks though JG).

I'm perplexed by this avi issue though. I have read up on the methods of working with them and the "embed" method seemed to be the most cross-browser & cross platform friendly. I got it working at the office (tested on win2k & win pro pc's) but I was worried about Mac's knowing what to do. At home I tried it using my Mac G4 OS9 and was happy to see it looked great. But then I tried it on my home PC (almost exactly the same as my work PC) and it did not work...

I'll get QT Pro and hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Aug 3, 04 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

So I bought QT Pro. My original .avi file was about 2mb. When I converted it to a .mov the resulting file was 3kb without a noticable difference in quality!

Thanks for the help.

Aug 4, 04 11:22 am  · 
 · 
threshold

I have to take back my complements regarding QT. Apparently the default way of saving requires the original .avi file to be present to play… You have to choose the non-default “save as self contained” for it to work alone and the file is about the same size as the original .avi.

You would figure the UI to be set up with "save as self contained" being the default...

Aug 4, 04 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: