Archinect
anchor

Getting recruited before graduation

thompson's gazelle

Hi, I'm a student in a master's program studying urban design, and was wondering what are the odds of getting recruited let's say a semester before you graduate from school? I'll be graduating towards the end of May, and for personal reasons, it would be best for me to get an offer letter by this December (visa issues... I am aware of the OPT and it's a totally different problem)

I know it happens a lot in other fields, but to my knowledge architecture firms seem to hire people on immediate need-basis.

Any idea on how it generally works in the architectural field? experiences, stories, or precedents? Please help!

Jun 6, 12 9:54 am
marmkid

I wasnt recruited, but i set up interviews a couple months before graduating to land a job for once i was done with school, though that was nearly 8 years ago now.

Given the current economy, i dont know how much recruiting is done, given that anywhere with openings usually has people coming to them. 

Have you been interning anywhere while in school?  I think that would be your best bet to have something lined up so early.  I dont know if firms these days can hire someone 5-6 months ahead of time out of school.  That seems a bit unrealistic.  But if you have been working with them while in school, and have a good relationship, you can gauge whether or not they would be willing to keep you on full time once you graduate.

Jun 6, 12 10:04 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

I would say odds are essentially zero. Firstly, "getting recruited" doesn't really happen in architecture; you're going to have to pound the pavement, and shouldn't expect employers to seek you out. Secondly, the schedules, workloads, and management style of architecture firms makes it difficult for firms to predict their needs months in the future. Even when an architect believes they will need someone several months out, they don't trust that until the work is actually in the door and requiring extra staff. 

Coming out of undergrad (in 2005, when there was a ton more work out there) I took the first job offer I got, two months before the end of the school year, because I thought the way you do. Then starting the week I graduated, I got approximately 30 phone calls from firms wanting to interview me, who I'd submitted resumes to months prior. I deeply regretted having already committed myself to a firm when so many more options were open to me if I had only known to wait for them.

Jun 6, 12 11:35 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Win a few international competitions, get your work published in design mags and yeah, maybe you'll get recruited.  I wouldn't expect it unless there's a serious turn in the economy.  Larger more stable firms may be able to get you a position before you graduate if you have a good relationship with them.

Jun 6, 12 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

this isn't 2007

Jun 6, 12 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Finding a job in any economy -- whether you're inexperienced or well along in your career -- generally takes a certain amount of legwork, contacts and -- sad to say -- luck.  It's doubtful anybody's going to come looking for you. You need to get yourself organized and mount a disciplined job search.

As a general rule, the typical design firm does not  hire staff months ahead of need -- mainly because it's hard to forecast "need" with any reliability. However, that doesn't mean you can't spend a number of productive months making contact with prospective employers, getting them familiar with you, your portfolio and your personality. Then, as graduation approaches, you'll be better positioned to snag an offer from a firm that -- at that particular point in time -- needs what you have to offer. However, plan to get comfortable with the high degree of uncertainty that goes with a job search of this nature -- there are no "easy buttons" in your situation.

Cover as many bases as possible, don't get discouraged, and make your own luck !

Jun 6, 12 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

This is not computer science, or management, where companies will offer you recruitment before graduation. Unless you have solid contacts who can assure you a job before you graduate, it is not going to happen.

That said, it does not hurt to "poke your fingers into the pie" and look around. Maybe talk to some principals in firms and discuss your design project with them, vis-a-vis employment opportunities. Remember that it is just an idea to put your work out there, and using your portfolio as the excuse. You never know what may click!

Jun 6, 12 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: