Archinect
anchor

any suggestion about Manual De land's cousrse in Upenn

fenwayrabbit

Enrolled in De land's course ---Philosophy, Materials & Strucutures, want to read some books related to this course in advance. Is there anybody have ever taken this course before?

Jan 9, 07 9:57 pm
cobra

manuel de landa. Unfortunately, never had him for a class. I think he just released a new book recently.

Jan 9, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
cobra
here
Jan 9, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Please keep us updated on how this class goes, seems like it could be very interesting!

Jan 10, 07 5:18 am  · 
 · 

He also wrote a A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History, and this is pretty good book. So, I would suggest reading it anyway regardless of if you are in the class or not.

Jan 10, 07 7:29 am  · 
 · 
cobra

second that, that book is amazing. Also, here is one of his standard lectures. It is a great introduction to everything de landa.

Jan 10, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

definitely do the delanda class, and smoke a bud with him afterwards

Jan 10, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
fenwayrabbit

I have ever read that nonlinear history book, never imagined can see this world in this way. That's why I chose his class this semester. Does anyone know what is this issue "Philosophy, Materials & Strucutures" about? Want to do some preparation for his class.

Jan 10, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

I loved "war in the age of intelligent machines" - but could not get through his oversimplified readings of urban design in the first parts of "A Thousand..."

has anyone read the new book?
would love to hear comments.

Jan 11, 07 5:43 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

to everyone interested in a delanda lecture heres a nice one you can watch online:

http://www.tate.org.uk/onlineevents/archive/naturespacesociety/delanda.htm

enjoy

:o)

Jan 11, 07 6:14 am  · 
 · 

the new one is great. it's like the urbanism part of "1000 years..." but explained in much more detail with regards to Deleuze's theories. It's short but dense.

Jan 11, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

i took his class a few years ago (a different one). his lectures are fascinating and definitely worth attending, but there was no discussion component and the one assignment was a paper due on the last day of class, so there wasn't feedback. i wish there had been more of an opportunity for exchange -- every lecture would have provoked great dialogue among the class. i think geoff m. was sitting in on the lectures, too ... but we didn't know each other then.

Jan 11, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
architorture

i took his class last year and the format that heather ring mentioned is still used...he follows his book topics pretty closely so it's good that you are looking into his previous writing--and prepare yourself to fall in love with that class...

fascinating stuff, and yes his writing tends to be dense but he gets into alot more detail and explaination in his class...i walked out of the first day of class with a serious mental crush on him....

Jan 11, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
firetruck

This guy is famous? He has written books of consequence? To who? To architects? As a philosopher he is just a loud mouth. He doesn't even make a simple distinction between the philosophical use of the word "form" and the artist "making form" - something that might be discussed in a freshman class on Aristotle. His account of materialism and idealism mixed in with some nonsense about the "Left" needing a new philosophical foundation is a total joke. And that Idealism is inherently associated with being "Conservative"? What a charlatan. The tight black t-shirt brigade is still alive and kicking I guess.

Jan 12, 07 5:52 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Yeah - some of his texts really make me think that might be a (slightly nasty, but) true assesment - "War in the ..." was an interesting compilation of histories, but rigor might not be the thing to look for in deLAnda.

Anyway - that does not mean that he could not be an incredibly inspiring and exciting instructor - the lack of a coherent theoretical framework or even a feeble grasp of political history are not enough to sink a luminous personality. Because he obviously has had an impact of some kind - that does not come out of nowhere.

Remember the good teachers that can't design anything worthwile themselves but impart a sense of purpose and a kit of valid design methods to their students. It's all quite strange.

Jan 12, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 

Invalid design methods have a far greater impact, if you asked me.

Jan 12, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

im jealous, i enjoyed reading 1000 years... wonder what he is like as a prof

Jan 12, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

i thought he was a good professor...he was visibly enthusiastic about his intrests, musings, topics...whatever you would like to call them....which really got me and alot of the people that i talked to, really into his class....

Jan 12, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

every inch... - a good point. hah.

Jan 13, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Why, why, why do people read this guy? Every time I see Manuel DeLanda quoted, I cringe.

Jan 13, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
TED

why

Jan 13, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Maybe it's because they're not all that well read to begin with?

or

Maybe it has something to with modern culture's preferred lack of depth?

or

Maybe it's because tuition is so high that it must be worth the price?

or

All of the above and more?

Jan 13, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

well - in my case- it was the hype that made me do it. sorry sorry. haven't ever quoted him though. so nood need to cringe.

Jan 13, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

yes, curious to know why smokety.

Jan 13, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

well, partly because theres a certain charisma (to his writing ... and most definitely to his teaching), less work and easier to get excited about and visualize these ideas, as derivative as they may be.
thats what public intellectuals are about, right?
i think in school i wished i had time to pour over texts in the smokety phd way (... or like in my liberal arts undergrad), but with all that consumed us, it really ended up being this mad hunger to just get inspired and fuse them into our projects ...
i took a physics phd student to a lecture by a physicist that spoke in our department. over the post-lecture wine and cheese, we listened to my professors swoon, and my friend just shook his head and said, "wow ... architects really play it fast-and-loose with science, don't they?" i think hasselhoff, coming from a science background, said something similar in another thread.

Jan 13, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Don't tell me it boils down to mind candy!

Jan 13, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

haha

Jan 13, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jan 13, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: