Archinect
anchor

Arch to Dev

twobie2

Has anyone made the from Architecture to (Software) Architecture i.e. Web Development? I was recently accepted to a program www.devbootcamp.com and am seeking counsel from anyone who may have made the switch, or who knows about the dev world.

Jun 4, 12 11:02 pm

trace could tell you, as could a few others. i'm working on a software project with a developer, but am not acting in that role. 

the one thing i hear in that world is that you have to know how to code. at least some. it's very hard to just have great ideas. also, the big thing in that world (being a true software developer) is getting teams together. projects that get funding have a strong team in place -engineer, developer, visionary. some roles (marketing, programming, etc.) no one really cares about as much - they figure you can find people and plug them in. but those 3 seem to be the core of just about every successful group.

Jun 4, 12 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
twobie2

trace?

Jun 5, 12 11:19 am  · 
 · 

another long time member on archinect.

Jun 5, 12 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

I have not done the switch,  but it's tempting and I've talked to some computer-science people about it. They were pretty positive about a (young-ish) architect making the switch, and one guy said a former architect was the smartest person at his tech company. There is a lot more optimism in the software/tech world than there is in architecture, few of them worry about becoming unemployed. They said as long as you can perform (code) and have decent ideas, there will be a job for you. You can definitely take cheap classes and teach yourself the basics, but it will take time and you have to have the motivation to keep plugging at it.

However they did say that the most attractive jobs will be difficult for anybody to get that didn't major in computer science and build up experience from a young age. Apparently age-ism is a worry in the industry. There are also plenty of jobs that can be somewhat lonely, they said. 

Overall I'd say go for it.

In addition there's always udacity --free online interactive 7-week courses. I'm sure there are others. MIT, etc.

Jun 28, 12 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

ageism in Dev seems to limit the average career span to 5 years? what do you do after that?

Jun 28, 12 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

I have, feel free to e-mail me directly and I would be happy to share what I know.

Jun 28, 12 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: