Archinect
anchor

3d in autocad

Pete

If animation is not your main goal, would AutoCAD be sufficient for 3d modeling and rendering in stead of 3D studio Max/Viz or Maya.

Aug 3, 04 5:59 am
Dan

autocad is terrible for 3d rendering. it is awkward and slow to use and the results are mediocre at best. You can take your autocad drawing or 3d wireframe and render/texture it in max pretty easily.

Aug 3, 04 8:42 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Depending on what your goals are, Sketchup may be the best option. It is inexpensive, easy to learn and fast. You can import and export to .dwg format so it plays well with Autocad.

In addition you can export digital stills and animations that don't take to long to render.

Sketchup does not do photorealistic renderings (it was developed as the name states to yield more of a sketch/marker look) but you can do post-processing in other programs that gets you there.

Aug 3, 04 9:30 am  · 
 · 

What version of AutoCAD are we talking about, Pete? What type of architecture are we talking about?

Aug 3, 04 11:46 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

you can do decent renderings for simple stuff. you'll have to mess with the settings a few times to get the rendering right. the only problem with this is the rendering is very, very slow. i have done good renderings in autocad 3d though, even using the default materials that come with the program. you'll probably want to import your own, however. be sure you set anti-aliasing to high under the 'more options' button in the render window, this is the only way. if you are serious about this kind of stuff though, you'll want to get into a normal 3d rendering program. the best thing to use autocad for are hidden line perspectives, which you can then import into illustrator, or print out and hand render, collage, etc.

Aug 3, 04 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

How about this combination: Autocad for a 2D basis, Rhino for your 3D then, if you have time, learn to render in Max.

If you already know autoCAD, Rhino's not that big a leap. It looks like AutoCAD and generally operates according to its principles. And it is much better for modeling than autocad. Then, take the model to 3dsMax where you can do really hot renderings. If you don't have the time for learning the rendering tools in Max, you can always make 'abstract' renderings with basically any program. Cut and paste your print-outs if you have to, but I wouldn't bother putting too much time into trying to render with AutoCAD. You might as well direct your efforts towards programs which are fairly easy to use but can give you excelent results. I'm not sure if AutoCAD for rendering will ever give you that.

Aug 3, 04 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

Autocad is great for modelling in 3D - very precise and very user-friendly, but you will have to take it else where get deceent renderings. 3DStudio Max is very compatible, but so is just about everything else.

Aug 3, 04 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
hanimal

CATIA people. that is the way of the future. design 2D, 3D, digital mock-up, manufacturing prep, cost-effective solution for managing product lifecycle collaboration. the whole package all in one.

Aug 3, 04 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

can i find bootleg versions of CATIA yet??

i dont have any "legal" software in my computer ;-)

Aug 4, 04 11:42 am  · 
 · 
jmac

pretty sure you can get a demo through the mail--but cracked...I've never seen a version.

Aug 4, 04 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

Doesn't that require specific CATIA hardware as well?

I heard it was 20K a station? Its a bit out of reach for your everyday architect - maybe in five years, but for now I will stick with ADT, Autcad and 3DSMax thanks.

Aug 4, 04 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

I've downloaded a pirated version of Catia just yesterday (P3 V5R12).

So cracked versions are out there, just look for it.

Aug 4, 04 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Pete

Would modeling in Max be just as easy as in Autocad? I have seen a few students modeling in autocad and render in Max. By the way, do people use Max only for presentations or is it efficient enough for designing like Sketch up?

Aug 4, 04 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

ok autocad sucks to model in
yeah it can be done but why it sucks
you have to be a programer to write cool code
to make it fast
archicad 8.1 to model or form z don't bother
with any thing else
max is good for simple structures
but not good for complex arch models
max and vray to render
oh by the way i have won 3 caddie awards
and wrote a few books on the subject
son i've tried them all

Aug 4, 04 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
xxx

Does anyone know if FormZ has any plans to update their damn program? Essentially it's always worked great, but I can't stand the clumsy interface. Plus, I always have the hardest time importing AutoCAD drawings into it. Anyone have any tips?

Aug 6, 04 9:38 am  · 
 · 
pvb358

anyone know where to get a free copy of maya? whats the deal with the personal learning software they offer, is that the full program?

Aug 6, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
glick

you can get a free copy of the personal learning version from the alias/wavefront website. i believe it is the full version..maybe minus the fur stuff (so maybe it isn't full). but the one thing that is annoying as hell is there is always a huge watermark on the screen when you are in shaded mode. i believe it appears also when you render. it gives you a serious headache after a while, which is is how maya gets you to buy the software. also, it saves the file as a .ple file (personal learning edition), which i am not sure is compatible with the purchased* software.....*(or pirated)

Aug 6, 04 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
glick

i am trying to post the link so bear with me

alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml;$sessionid$P4BRUVMHKYXEJQCLCWSSFEWAJMK0IIV0

Aug 6, 04 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

form z is a lot better to use than autocad
try that out then learn max

Aug 7, 04 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

My method of choice is to model in Rhino, then export into 3D. The reason, as a few others have already noted, is that the interface is very similar to AutoCAD, and thus so much easier to work with, faster than trying to model in Form-Z. I never model in max, but just out of curiosity, is there an advantage to doing modelling in max vs. Rhino, considering rendering would be done in max for both? Not really in terms of exporting files, but in terms of appearance or modelling capabilitie/features.

Aug 8, 04 1:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: