Archinect
anchor

USNews.com - Best Careers 2007

sparch
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/best_careers_2007/careertable.htm

Architect: Executive Summary

Ever hear a demeaning joke about an architect? Probably not–the creativity, scientific know-how, and perseverance required for this work make it a highly respected profession. And not just anybody can hang up a shingle. You don't need to be a good artist, but successful architects must have design talent, graduate from a top program, and find a good internship while at school.

Just becoming a good architect isn't enough–it takes marketing savvy too, since most architects are self-employed or work at tiny firms where only the rainmakers make serious dollars.

Some low-level architectural work is getting offshored, according to Architectural Record, an industry publication that surveyed 25 of the largest U.S. architectural firms. So focus your efforts on developing more-advanced skills that are offshore-resistant: design, project leadership, and cultivating new clients. That will both help ensure your employment and free you from spending too much time probing the fine print in Section 43.06.07b of the building code. Even if you don't get rich, you'll enjoy one of society's most rewarding and creative careers. Imagine designing a building, then actually watching it go up.

Median Salary

$46,840. More specific salary data, provided by salary.com

Training

The Design Futures Council, an industry group, rates the following schools as having the top undergraduate and graduate architecture programs.

UNDERGRADUATE

Cornell University
Rice University
Syracuse University
Virginia Tech
Rhode Island School of Design
Auburn University
California Polytechnic State University–San Luis Obispo
University of Kansas*
University of Texas–Austin
Carnegie Mellon University
*This school no longer accepts students into its bachelor's program as it transitions to a master's program.

GRADUATE

Harvard University
University of Cincinnati
Yale University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Virginia
Cornell University
Rice University
Washington University in St. Louis
Columbia University
Virginia Tech

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/061218/18architect.summary.htm

Jan 2, 07 6:13 pm
mdler

Watch out GSD

Jan 2, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

way to fall off the list U Kansas.

Jan 2, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Who needs good pay or good job market outlook or good quality of life, when we have prestige!

Jan 2, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

we make more $$$ than planners!!!

Jan 2, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

less than librarians

Jan 2, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Prestige??? Yeah, I felt prestige run warm through me the other day as someone passed in their sports-Bentley. 'I bet you don't know the first thing about 15th C alchemic practices, you wee profit-hound' I thought as the puddle splashed over my shoes.

Jan 2, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

WE MAKE LESS THAN LIBRARIANS!?!?! Oh that is not right...

Jan 2, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mdler's rolling a civic, bitches

Jan 2, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

mdler....you have three wheels and a spare on that civic?

Jan 2, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
firetruck

Hahaha, "prestige"! US News is a comedy rag. Someone convince the world that in the United States "prestige" and "status" are indicated by anything other than money. Take away the 'A' for prestige and it's obvious nobody gives a damn about architects or even design in the land of Wal-Mart.

Jan 2, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i've heard plenty of demeaning jokes about architects, what the fuck are they talking about?!

Jan 2, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

US News used to be respectable, TIME used to be respectable, Newsweek used to be respectable, CNN used to be respectable, the NY Times used to be respectable, the only news source out there I still consider to be respectable is the Economist.

Jan 2, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

i didn't see anything in there about being in architect who wants to do architecture being soul-killing or about architects being guinea pigs for most of what goes wrong in a project. i'll read it again in case i missed those things. they must be in there...

Jan 2, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

at least, girls' eye brightens up when we tell them we are an architect, or study architecture...

... 'till they know how much we make

Jan 3, 07 12:54 am  · 
 · 
santa monica

No demeaning jokes? If I may...

One morning a contractor called an architectural firm and asked to speak to an architect regarding a particular project.

The receptionist, with a voice full of regret, said, "I'm sorry, sir, but the architect recently died a slow, agonizing death out on a project site." The contractor stated his condolences and hung up.

About an hour later the same contractor called back and asked to speak to an architect regarding the same project. Again, the receptionist gave the contractor the bad news: "I'm sorry, sir, but the architect recently died a slow, agonizing death out on a project site." As before, the contractor mumbled his regrets and hung up.

This pattern repeated itself each hour throughout the morning, until, at last, the receptionist recognized the contractor's voice, whereupon she said to him, "Sir, why do you keep calling here when you know I'm going to say the architect has recently died a slow, agonizing death out on a project site?"

The contractor, exploding with long-suppressed maniacal laughter, gasped, "Because I love to hear you say it!"

Jan 3, 07 1:27 am  · 
 · 
myriam

hahahaha, solidred you made me laugh out loud.

outside of contractor circles, i actually hear a lot of people say respectful and awed things about our profession. i think that's pretty rad. i would agree that it tends to be held in high esteem. now, if only we could convince those awed masses that they can actually afford our services! we're not just good for standing around on pedestals, folks. that's what i always say at least.

Jan 3, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
myriam

hmm, my computer thinks US News and World Report website is an ad

Jan 3, 07 1:36 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What myriam said. Conversely, if you tell people you're a contractor, you can be sure they'll want to count the money in their wallet after you walk away.

Jan 3, 07 7:51 am  · 
 · 
the silent observer

Prestige...man, it makes a great blanket on a cold night, doesn't it?

Jan 3, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rambo

Rock on, the Economist. Funnily enough, librarian was my other career choice.
Everybody i know sounds really impressed when i tell them that i'm studying architecture. They're all like wow, you'll be making money. But apparently not. Whatever. Frank Lloyd Wright, as far as i can tell, created his own prestige. So i'm hoping tobe able to do the same thing. Luckily i've got lots of family who wants me to design houses for them.
Have u guys ever considered moving to africa? People aren't so close minded about bilding houses over there. in fact there are buildings going up all the time. Ditto with the Arabias.

Jan 1, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

people are very impressed when you tell them you're studying architecture. they think it's really cool.

i think it's really cool too. otherwise i wouldn't be doing it.

Jan 1, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: