Archinect
anchor

pc.... 2000 professional or xp

binary

i'm running win 2000 professional and i'm having issues with my firefox/etc..... a friend told me to try to run xp...... is xp a better OS for my laptop...dell inspirion 8100.... i run cad/ps/firefox/ai

thanks

:

Jan 1, 07 2:53 am
strlt_typ
yeah xp is better...new years 1977
Jan 1, 07 2:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I think it's time for a new machine.

Jan 1, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Optimized for XP

Jan 1, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
binary

cant get a new machine right now.......

Jan 1, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Difficult to say - if your machine shipped with 2000 it may not benefit that much from upgrading to XP.

Jan 1, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

XP is gonna set you back a few hundred. For a few hundred more you can buy a new machine, with warranty, updated everything.

I would either buy a new one or wait until you can afford it.

If Firefox is causing problems, swithc browsers. It'd be a lot more practical than buying XP just to surf the web (and I'd bet the increased strain of XP on your computer's resources would slow it down even more, with or without FireFox)

Jan 1, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if i was to get a new machine, i was looking to spend about 2500 for a desktop....my laptop is ok but i got a bios blue screen last week and it nuked my firefox/bookmarks/etc and i reloaded firefox and it's still acting weird..... not sure if i should nuke my harddrive or reinstall 2000

Jan 1, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Vista is coming out, the beta's show that it's amazing. I, however, have made the cross over to macs (however i will upgrade my xp duel boot to vista shortly). But XP is based off the 2000 architecture so its stable but rather compatible.

Jan 3, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

xp has never crashed on me.

Jan 3, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Your machine must be trying to compensate for all the times the computers in my office crash.

Jan 3, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: