Archinect
anchor

Leaving LA for NYC (or SF)

sameolddoctor

Hot on the heels of leaving NYC for a smaller city, we (family and self) are thinking of a possible move to NYC, from LA. Are we crazy to even consider something like this? But well, this is America, where people move an average of 10 times in their lives, so why not think about it?

In short, we are a little tired of LA, and even though it is quite an amazing city in its own way (Ive been here 11 years now), it seems like things are getting a little stagnant here, especially for us.

We were just in New York, visiting friends and family, and there certainly seems to be more opportunity for architects, and we do have a network of helpful friends there as well.

And most importantly, we have a 9-month baby, and somehow it seems that she would have a more realistic experience in life growing up in New York, than in LA, and somehow closer to the life we had growing up in India. Again, this might sound counter-intuitive to what most people do, but its worth a thought. Life in LA is certainly easier that in it would be in NY...

What do you guys think? Anyone made this kind of move before, at the stage of life we are at? Is it crazy to be even considering this?

All inputs appreciated!

May 31, 12 8:44 pm
sameolddoctor

Oh, and yes, we were thinking of SF too, but it seems it is a little too saturated with architects and too expensive to consider, but we love the city!

May 31, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Oh, and yes, we were thinking of SF too, but it seems it is a little too saturated with architects and too expensive to consider, but we love the city!

May 31, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

there are other cities that are more livable than the ones you mentioned...

Jun 1, 12 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

If you have any Job opportunity In NY, I would not even think twice, If you are City person, you will never be happy in LA. 

I do not think you can have same experience in any other City in America, as you will have in NY.

Jun 1, 12 3:37 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes mdler, but at the moment, we are thinking of the larger cities, as that is what we have been used to while growing up, and would like to try it for our little one as well.

Anyone else done this with family?

Jun 1, 12 10:27 am  · 
 · 
zonker

sameolddoctor

Yes - SF it is way to saturated  - too much competition has made it a struggle for the average architect here - you really need to bring a lot to the party - are you published? accomplished? graduate of a top school? savvy with the latest social networking? And oh yes do you have a killer iPad portfolio? - did you write your own portfolio app? 

Jun 1, 12 11:44 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

if you have connections in NYC, I'd definitely do it.  Plus, there are some really good public schools in the city (competition for them is pretty fierce, though).  However - if your kid turns out to be just average academically, it can be tough - the school system seems to have better support for the extreme ends of the academic spectrum (same problem in Boston, btw).  education is usually the main reason families bolt for the suburbs.

Jun 1, 12 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Lol Xenakis, I heard in SF you can't take a piss without hitting a web/app designer and this is the result, brought to you by Silicon Valley. As a person who lived in NY for 6 years and now overseas I'm thinking of moving to a cheaper yet a big US city. These crossed my mind: Chicago, Austin, Atlanta.

Jun 1, 12 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Actually, I when crossing Market I have to dodge them as they run through the red light light on Montgomery on their fixies - they get pretty amped from their ride from Valencia st. 

Jun 1, 12 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Consider the schools and the competition for your kid(s) to get in before you leap. A year ago, I was choosing between a job in NYC or LA. LA won for many reasons, not the least of which was the availability of many more strong school districs in affordable/interesting communities (okay, there are mediocre ones too). There is a lack of pre-school programs in the boroughs, which isn't a problem in SoCal.

If you do head east, consider going bridge-n-tunnel versus living in one of the boroughs on an architect's salary. yeah, LA is way easier a place to live, especially with kids.

Jun 1, 12 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@barry -  It seems like right now only major things that are currently discouraging upwardly mobile families from staying in the city are the quality of schools and access to early childhood education (unless they can afford private school).  The desire to raise a family in the city is definitely there (huge change from just 10 years ago), it's just that the schools haven't caught up (mostly due to the glacial changes within a huge system like NYC) and there aren't quite enough parents willing to put their kids on the front line.

Jun 1, 12 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Thanks for your comments guys. Yes, the biggest factor is the education for the baby, which definitely is a challenge in NYC.

In terms of family, since we are not originally from here, the only close family we have is actually in NY, but its not something we can count on yet.

Kinda makes us want to rewind before the baby and live for a few years in NYC!

Jun 2, 12 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: