Dec 28, 06 7:37 pm
pomoinmono

This gem is from rottentomato.com:

"Build it, and they will complain."

Guess it's not so good?

Dec 28, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

This is the first I've heard of it. It can't be all that bad, Isabella Rossellini is in it....

What's the deal with the blond chick and her body issues? Anybody seen the show "Heroes" on NBC? She's gotten broken in half like 3 times on that show.

BTW, how the hell do I stop that video up there? It's kind of annoying posting to a soundtrack...

Dec 28, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah...what the fuck? i kept expecting some 3d honeycomb to pop out of the video and per to show up saying, "gotcha!"

wasn't just last december (the 9th of 2005?) that he threw archinect.com into a tizzy by posting graphics in the thread titles on the main forum page

Dec 28, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that building looks like it was built forty to fifty years ago. about the time the "architect" would have been playin kickball at recess...

Dec 28, 06 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Dec 28, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

good point vado, i didnt even think about that.
I rented it a couple days ago. Pretty fucking bad.
First, the main character was a partner at this firm and all the work you see is pretty mundane and traditional. Yet he lives in somwhat of a modern house. The wife (Rosellini) didnt have many lines, just playing a bitchy, estranged wife. The daughter has these body issues that really didnt make sense becasue she was smoking, and to me, there seemed to be some points in the movie that insinuated that these issues stemmed from some past issues between the daughter and the father. The sons part seemed a little "broke-back-ish" where he has dropped out of college and then is able to "find" himself" with the help of a male prositute from the development that his father had designed.
The end just stops abruptly with the intention of "making you think" where the father who is contemplating his development on the same roof top where his son had his "brokeback" moment with the prostitute (who had earlier commited suicide from the same rooftop after the son had rejected him.) They both see eachother on the roof and the movie ends.

Dunno, maybe others would like it... But it felt like half a story.

for me .. two thumbs down

Dec 28, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if u wanna watch a good isabella rossellini movie watch roger dodger. or stromboli if you wanna see a good roberto rossellini flick...

Dec 29, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

I have to say that I actually wasted 90 minutes of my life with this movie, via a Bit Torrent download at least. Although the movie is not worthy of any recommendation on my part, there are the moments where I had to laugh as it did capture some of the most pathetic passive aggressive cliches in the private life of an architect.

I did enjoy Isabella Rossellini playing the Euro trophy wife that is finally at her wit's end with trying to keep the house to perfection.

Dec 29, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

How come we can't have movies where architects are playboys? Good looking, suave lady killers. A mix between Austin Powers and Brad Pitt in Oceans eleven, traveling interntationaly for big fancy projects. Architects are always portrayed as these sensitve deep thinking pansies. What the f#$k.

Dec 29, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

seen click? hasselhoff is perhaps the best portrayed architect ever...i also enjoyed adam sandler hand drafting all the construction documents for a highrise project...

Dec 29, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

?click?
?adam sandler?

ugghh, no I haven't seen it, but the previews looked pretty lame.

Dec 29, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

did you miss the sarcasm? my non arch friends have as much taste as a saltine, but hey gotta love em..

Dec 29, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Hey, a proper moving picture! It's like television on the computer!

Sorry, broadband's pretty new to me...

I don't quite understand alfrejas' comment: surely the Hollywood architect cliche is precisely the international playboy type who's only concession to 'work' is hovering around a nice model of a condominium? Not that I can think of examples right now, erk. Richard Gere played one, though.

Dec 29, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

would be better if it were real - jet setting to design projects...far more real if it followed some up and coming architects, a year or three out of grad school who get the chance of lifetime, investing everything into a competition and it pays off (sounds familiar already doesn't it?)

that move with the guy from friends, Matthew Perry in 3 to Tango

it could be well done though...without seeming like a rip off

Dec 29, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

It would be too stylish. Ye commone folkes would be intimidated ;-)

Dec 29, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

if you are that easily dazzled, solidred, you may like this site as well

Dec 29, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Or what about Emanuelle Beart as an intern doing sanitaryware schedules? At one level, it would still be worth watching...
And Robbie Coltrane (see seperated at birth thread) could reprise his giant hagrid (?) role as her boss; a whisky-swilling Scot with a rough-cut timber fetish.

Dec 29, 06 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
tman

I saw that movie...a snooze fest. I fell asleep after about 30-45 minutes. Too many competing story-lines (it's like American Beauty without the satirical humor mixed with alittle Fountainhead ideas). All the characters are the same character in my opinion, and underdeveloped. Hardly any music, lot of slow dialogue and things that architects probably already know. My friend, also an architect, saw the entire movie after I fell asleep, and said the ending was terrible (i wont spoil it for you though).

Dec 31, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Ha, just rented that over the holidays. Whoa, that was a mistake.

My favorite was when the architect decides to "help" and shows off a giant model of his proposed upgrade which is essentially nothing more than adding some spandrel glass.

The buildings are a 1960's Cabrini Green style development with the implication of the crime and poverty one would assume. Yet the "architect" is so proud of his buildings he refuses to sign a petition to have them destroyed. At one point he even start saying how they were modeled after Le Corbusier.

What architect in their right mind in modern times would stand up for the whole "towers in the park" concept? The movie is flawed because the architect background is flawed. The background plot is ok, but the building type is all wrong.

The background stories are confusing as hell and don't really add anything. Guess every movie today has to have the gay kid trying to come out and the teenage girl dealing with her sexuality, etc.

Jan 2, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

keep it happy, keep it snappy, keep it gay!

Jan 2, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I just watched it the other day, and yes, it sucks.

Jan 3, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: