Archinect
anchor

MIT Urban information Systems

perturbanist

Can anyone recommend this specialty under the DUP? Along with any books regarding it?

Dec 28, 06 7:00 pm
Urbanist

Technically, it's not really a program speciality anymore, although there are a couple of Ph.D. students funded through it, I think. DUSP's program groups are 1) City Design & Development, 2) Environmental Policy, 3) International Development, 4) Housing Community & Economic Development. Architecture's program groups are 1) Urbanism & Architectural Design, 2) History Theory & Criticism, 3) Computation, 4) Building Technology, 5) Aga Khan. No master's admissions are available into UIS, as far as I know.

Dec 28, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

Sorry, I was referencing the PhD site...

"In addition, we have three "cross-cutting" areas that are of interest to many students and faculty in the Department. These are: Urban Information Systems (which is a specialization area at the PhD level only); Regional Planning; and Transportation Policy and Planning.

1. Urban Information Systems

2. Regional Planning

3. Transportation Policy and Planning"

http://web.mit.edu/dusp/uis/www/

Dec 29, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I think that may be a little dated, and I don't know whether new PhD appointments in UIS are available... I think it's just for people who are still left over completing their degrees.. I can ask once people get back in a couple of weeks, if you want me to. Note that regional planning and international development are the same.

Dec 30, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

Aye, Aye, Aye
that would be too bad...Is Bill Mitchell still really involved in any of the programs? Or it kinda a token listing?

Dec 30, 06 9:50 am  · 
 · 

bill mitchell must be involved still in some way. he was here in louisville recently with an mit studio. he was the leader of a design/ideas charrette exploring new interpretations of public library programming and organizations. he spoke well and conducted the discussions brilliantly.

sidentoe > the thing that stuck out most about the whole thing: mit students no longer learn how to draw. three different students attempted to show their charrette work. we saw incomplete digital models ('cause how much can you accomplish in formz or 3d studio in a two day blast?) and some really wretched hand sketches. i'm sure this didn't win any supporters of architects' involvement in this library development process from among those in the audience.

but, yeah, mitchell was good.

Dec 30, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

I saw a lecture of his about six years ago and I'm still pretty impressed with his ideas. Too bad about the hand drawing...There is nothing wrong with a dose of both in case one isn't an option, no?

Dec 30, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
awol

if you want to work with bill mitchell, you might want to look into a degree from the media lab - his projects take students from architecture and planning, but he seems to be focused on the media lab.

Dec 31, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I think that Mitchell is not as involved with the Architecture and Planning programs as much as he is used to. If you want to get a sense of what the UIS track did, check out Anthony Townsend's Dissertation from MIT. I am not sure if he was a UIS student, but his dissertation gives a good sense of how the Department of Urban Planning treats informatics.

Jan 2, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Finally got an answer for you on this one. UIS apparently has funding for one or two people a year, but possibly not every year. Joe Ferreira is in charge, so I suggest you contact him. Not the UIS is different from the Computation Group in architecture.

Jan 19, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

wow i thought this one was dust...thanks!

Jan 19, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: