Archinect
anchor

Parks and C02

perturbanist

somewhere i read a BOOK that said: you would need XXX amount..or a ridiculous amount... of parks full of trees to offset the C02 produced by a city.(Perhaps it only mentioned xxx amount of trees and not parks.)

Anyone recall a source off hand?

Snide remarks are as usual..are welcome.

Dec 28, 06 5:27 pm
treekiller

hmm- not a snide remark- but this would be an interesting metric to figure out. Needs to be more specific as to where the forest/city is located to be useful.

I've seen info on how much co2 & pollution a typical mature tree can absorb, so that may be a starting point to calculate the # of trees required to offset a particular place.

we need a 'graphic standards' of sustainable design with all those LCA figures and things like what a tree can accomplish... maybe we can start a wiki article.... yeah! we need an archinect wiki!!

Dec 28, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

I've seen the figures somewhere...

Dec 28, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i know they're out there too.

Dec 28, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

who best to chime in but TREEKILLER!!!!!!!!
haha

I agree we do need a 'graphic standards of sustainable design'

Dec 28, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

according to this quiz, i produce 27602 pounds of CO2 per year...

a single mature tree, according to www.coloradotrees.org, can absorb 48 pounds per year..

so 27602 divided by 48...i need 575.0416 trees...

from coloradotrees.org
A single mature tree can absorb carbon dioxide at a rate of 48 lbs./year and release enough oxygen back into the atmosphere to support 2 human beings

???

Dec 28, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

A couple of years ago I found a website of some company in Australia who claimed to have invented a new concrete mixture that was actually a carbon sink. It sounded exciting, but I'm assuming that since I haven't heard any more about it they must have been total frauds or idiots.

Dec 28, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

wee, I only use 13877 pounds of CO2 per year. I need 289.1 trees.

Dec 28, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hmmmm, well dammson I think that maybe the quiz is flawed?? cause sounds like the output of the tree is similar to something I've read before.

Dec 28, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

if coloradotrees.org is correct about: one mature tree can support 2 human beings...

then, population of a city divided by 2 = number of mature trees

Dec 28, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

30600...those flights back to the states during the holidays can really kill a hippie

Dec 28, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

squirrely, the data can produce two different numbers.

population/2 = #trees needed to provide O2 to the population

CO2 output/48 = #trees needed to absorb CO2 of the population

The second number will be gargantuan, the first modest.

Dec 28, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

'graphic standards of sustainable design'...

probably your best bet is "regenerative design for sustainable development"...
or that retraded LEED book. Although neither is really "graphic"

I breifly glanced at ken yeang's "eco design manual" and it looked promising...

Dec 28, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Pert....u gotta a link to Ken Yeang's manual??

Dec 28, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

killing trees is my job. Just like most of the other members of archinect....

squirrel, you're one of few poster who seems to live in trees :)

Dec 28, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

deed I do mate, deed I do, so just knock before bulldozing my pad!
LOL

Dec 28, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

As far as I know, trees aren't the main producer of O2. I think it's various oceanic plankton. If I remember correctly, plants take the CO2 and the oceans produce the O2. Could be wrong, I can't remember where I heard that.

Dec 28, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

have you been to smog park?

Dec 28, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

it took absolutelt for ever to come out...

http://www.amazon.com/Ecodesign-Manual-Ecological-Ken-Yeang/dp/0470852917

Dec 28, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

yeang's work is a bit iffy if you ask me.

i did a course on environmental system design (i am in multi-disciplinary dept) where we worked on carbon sequestration using seaweed as part of a fish-farming system.

in the end we decided that carbon sequestration is too problematic cuz it means you have to bury the seaweed forever, like nuclear waste, or the benefits go out the window (same is true i imagine for trees, though potential life cycle is much longer). so we switched to a net carbon neutral system, where we proposed producing energy from fermentation of plant matter (seaweed). This would theoretically make it possible to refrain from using coal, etc and thus not add any more co2 to the atmosphere than already exists...we were using seaweed because it also has properties useful in the prevention of eutriphication of waters around fish farms...

we presented the work at a conference for water/climate scientists in fukuoka, to mixed response. it was a cool experience but the scientists' comments left me feeling a bit cynical by anything as easy (relatively) as planting a bunch of trees to make up for our otherwise absurd environmental actions. it may be a chimera. or worse, an excuse.

Dec 28, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

heather - the smog park is brilliant!!! great find, now I want to create my own atmospheric reserve! anybody else want to join?

Dec 28, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

typical forest uptake rate of 3 tons of carbon per acre per year (guessing this is for a northern hardwood acre)- and a typical forest will have between 400 to 700 trees per acre (more when young, fewer as forest matures into old growth)... you can do the math.

Dec 28, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

i just produce 8845 pounds of CO2... being a vegetarian with an efficient car and living in the tropics helps! i need only 184 trees.

Dec 29, 06 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: