Archinect
anchor

Any archinecters from Philadelphia?

marmkid

thanks, its nice to be here.

i was saying that as a compliment, i think it could have worked as well in philly as anywhere else. who would have ever thought that having a million people in the middle of a road to have their view of the stage blocked on a 100 degree day would ever work for a day long concert. but it did. i was there, and i survived. all is well

Jan 3, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 

The first virtual museum of architecture online started from a rowhouse basement in Philadelphia's neighborhood of Olney on 21 November 1996. Another Philly First, like ENIAC--there was a time, almost 20 years ago now, when I used to occasionally DSC (disk save and compress) a VAX in the building where ENIAC was.

I found out recently that I started living in the rowhouse where the first virtual museum of architecture began on 21 November 1958. I stopped living there 18 October 2006, and the last time I was there was 18 December 2006, a couple hours before I handed over the keys to the new owner, a Haitian man from New York City. In early 2002 I found out that place was once in the midst of a Lenni Lenape camp site, and sacred burial grounds if the vibes I picked up there all those years are true.

The first virtual museum of architecture online still emanates from Philadelphia, now from a twin home on the site of a 1645 fortified Swedish settlement. At the turn of the 19th century this place was the country estate of Miers Fisher, a prominent lawyer you did interesting things like collect rent from President Washington when Philadelphia was Capital of the United States, and act as agent for John James Audubon's father. By the early 20th century this place was the old family home of the man that "built" the first railroads of Japan.

What I've grown to like most about Piladelphia is that the place is so quondam.

Jan 3, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

and god bless Philadephia for giving us 'the roots'

Jan 3, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And MFSB/TSOP/Gamble and Huff. Best music ever.

Jan 3, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

things I miss about Philly:

$450 rent
chicken cheesesteak
Woody's
Dirty Frank's
Rittenhouse Square
Fairmount Park

things I don't miss:

crime
racism
the "subway"
inferiority complex re Manhattan (traded that for a new one)
Woody's

sometimes I felt that Philly combined the problems of a big city with the problems of a small town, but now reading all your posts makes me nostalgic.
I have a love/hate relationship with Philly and New York. went to Penn for my MArch from 97 to 2000, then moved to the East Village (NYC) and now live in Brooklyn.

Jan 3, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

the "subway" is mildly better than it used to be i think
the frankford market line anyway
they have newer train cars
the broad street line is as sketchy as ever
but i dont have to take it thank god, unless i'm going to a game or something

Jan 4, 07 8:37 am  · 
 · 
brand avenue

LB is right about the Philly sound...I'd add the O'Jays, the Delfonics, the Stylistics, Wilson Pickett...

Marmkid, don't let the complainers get you down. Philly is a good place to be. The one thing about Philadelphians and expats alike is that everyone has inordinately strong opinions about the place, pro and con.

All the "Philacentric" threads on this website make me pretty nostalgic too.

Jan 4, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

I'm a new archinector studing architecture in Philadelphia. It's an amazing experience.

Apr 2, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Mark- welcome to archinect. best luck with your time at Philly U.

Apr 2, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i hear philly U is a nice place to study
best of luck and welcome to philly

Apr 3, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

treekiller & marmkid

thanks guys =)

Apr 3, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
ether

the fiance', myself and our two dogs will be relocating to philly in july.

Apr 3, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: