Archinect
anchor

Your Tips for Architects' Health

nooga

I'm curious how do you care to keep yourself healthy in your very busy design/research life? Any tips?

Such as,
"I recently found walking to the school for 20 minutes each way, 40 minutes' walk in a day makes me feel lively."

Dec 27, 06 9:01 pm
some person
Sit up straight!

Seriously, take care of your back. Back pain is said to be one of the worst kinds of pain.

I've found that it helps to do a few minutes (read: 2 to 5 minutes) of Pilates before bed if my back is sore after a long day.

Dec 27, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i started working out at night.... from 12-2am i'm in route/workout/out route to the house....... the gym is open 24/7 and has a pool and jaccuzzi and spa/sauna..... at night there's hardly anyone there so it's cool......

30 minutes on eliptical and then 45 mintues work out then 15-20 in jacuzzi then 3 mintues in the suana.... suana is f#&kin hott...... so i can stay long......

walking is good...along with stress breaks.......... luckily i dont work in a firm so i do what i what when i can....

good luck

:

Dec 27, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Eat burritos.

Walk don't run.

Dec 27, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I try to reserve one day a week (Sundays in my case) where I clear my schedule of anything regarding work or school. It's a day set aside for rest, relaxation, and general slacking. It's not a cure-all, but I find it's one way to maintain some grip on my sanity.

Dec 27, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

One thing I've learned is that you have to make time for exercise (and relaxation) regardless of how busy you are. It doesn't matter if you spend an hour or 15 minutes each day – just walk, jog, stretch, whatever - just do it. I am extremely busy and I manage to take at least an hour out of my day to get some rigorous cycling in, and believe me it helps with stress and clears my head. And I agree wholeheartedly with DCA about the back pain. I have a strong back but managed to injure it recently (and quite amazingly not sure how I injured it; I was confined to bed rest for 72 hours which totally sucked). I am now working hard on strengthening my lower back again.

Eating right is just as important – that old saying you are what you eat is spot on. Do yourself a favor and try to avoid fast foods at all cost. I know eating healthier is more expensive, but you have to keep your body healthy.

Dec 27, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
meowmeow

-have at least 2 drinks a day
-have at least 1 chipwich a day
-have cough drops and lots of EmergenC on hand

Sounds crazy, but this has been the only semester where I haven't been sick.

Dec 27, 06 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Vitamin cocktail. I take a men's multi, a vitamin C and a glucosamine (I have bone spurs on my knee cap) and it really helps. This is the first time I've gotten sick in years, but I also got out of the habit of taking my vitamins for a few weeks and went to London, got a mild bug when I got back. This kinda goes with the food thing. Good food is ideal, but we all know, sometimes you don't have time, so vitamins can help fill in the gaps.

If you're in school, realize there is a point where health trumps that extra little rendering or whatever. Know when to say stop. 2 hours of sleep usually beats 6 hours of zombie work. And seriously, all nighters are probably less productive then real, awake work. Save all nighters for extreme crunch times.

Definately take out some non-work/school time. Even just renting a movie or something is great. Taking a 2 hour dinner break with friends. Mental health makes you work better.

Of course the gym helps too. I try to go a few times a week. Good stuff.

Dec 27, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Good point about the vitamins Hasselhoff - one that I really like is called Super Nutrition Opti-Pack. They are pricey at $30 for a one month supply but well worth the investment (especially if you are depriving yourself of sleep or eating/drinking poorly). If you are looking for something that will keep you from getting sick, this is it – it's also one of the highest energy boosting vitamins out there – I swear by them.

Dec 27, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Tea instead of coffee in the morning and wine in the evening.

Dec 28, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 

raspberry chocolate chip ice cream, red wine, blueberry bagels, two cups (and only 2) of coffee a day, and lots of pasta dishes.

Dec 28, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
AP

fruit smoothies for breakfast.

Dec 28, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

pizza twice per week
italian food 3 times per week
beer
8 cups of coffee per day

whoops, that is the diet that has caused me to gain 20 lbs since august

Dec 28, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Medusa has the drinking down right...
and the smoothies AP.....man those sound soo good right now (or when you're at your station/desk) working away. No snacking! but if you must
-fruit is good
-powerbars or any of those types of bars
-popcorn (but it makes the office smelly - some might hate you)

as for exercise, I still manage to hit the gym 3-4 times a week....
do some major cardio (since in LA nobody walks)
and some weights 1:15 usually suits me just fine

Dec 28, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Garpike

I have noticed that a consistant diet of burriots has kept me healthy

I also go to yoga everyday and only work till 5:30 pm

Dec 28, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
DaBokEE

-walk the short distances instead of driving
-carry a bottle of water with you wherever u go
-yoga
-never skip your meals
-take vitamins

Dec 29, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

I found wine, whisky and cocktails 24/7 365 days a year for about a decade had its moments. Nothing quite like a spirit-fuelled livewire. Ultimately, though, not good for the CV...

Dec 29, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

healthy - lol

I think walking around on building sites seems to be the only exercise I get

Otherwise I'm over stressed, smoke too damn much, and hit the whiskey on weekends

I do take mulit-v, and drink alot of red wine for medicinal reasons...honestly...not seriously...I'm not kidding - ok whatever bite me!!

Dec 29, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

what that liver, go easy on the drinking.!!!!!!

Dec 31, 06 7:49 am  · 
 · 

I quit smoking at midnight...(except for Cubans on occassion)

Dec 31, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
renthawa

Wow, the comments here are really helpful.

I hate the way some people say "I'm really stressed with my projects right now" as if it's some sort of achievement and that he/she is really hardworking.

My eyes get really dry when I'm stressed, so I try to drink lots of water. And multi vitamins. And exercise. It's really an energy boost. Having Seinfeld playing on the tv while I work helps a lot too. I don't know why.

Movies. I once watched Little Miss Sunshine four times in one week because it helped me relax.

Now I sound like a basket case.

Jan 1, 07 3:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: