Archinect
anchor

Dubai plans Ipod Building

matteo

Who got an Ipod from Chistmas?

"The 23-storey building, which is scheduled to bring more than 200 units onto the market in 2009, was designed by Hong Kong-based architects James Law Cybertecture International.

The tower will sit atop a docking station angled at six degrees to give the exact look".

This illustration is not official, but a 3-D architecture rendering from engadget.

Gulnews

Dec 26, 06 6:41 pm
dedubs
Dec 26, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i hope this is a joke

Dec 26, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

sweet jesus, I hope so too! (that it's a joke that is)

Dec 26, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

didnt those genuses learn nothing from the eight track building a few years ago???i mean its really dated man...

Dec 26, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

what about that real to real deck in tokyo?

Dec 26, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

James Law Cybertecture International

badass firm name

Dec 26, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

white Ipods are sooooo passe. black is a much better color. oh that tape deck was by some metabolist back in the '80s

Dec 26, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

are you sure you don't mean iPad building?

full story here

Dec 26, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I am to assume that the core of the building will rise out of the rest of the building?

Dec 26, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

mdler - it looks like one side of glazing from lifts up from the atrium. I know dubai, like abu dhabi, suffers badly from dust storms, so I'd assume it is there to shield the flats when needed, and allow open air views when not.

also, fyi here's the inbetween stage of this and matteo's post

Dec 26, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

I say stage - obv. the first one was an engadget rendering, and not an official stage of development or anything.

Dec 26, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hmmm not sure what to think (aesthetically) but at least it does look alot better than that first image! Couldn't quite make out what to think when I first saw it.

Dec 26, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

squirrelly - yeah, it's certainly better than changing the scale of an ipod schematic, but I still think it's pretty revolting.

The facade is quite pretty in its lighting but you can tell the architects got a bit bored and started just drawing 'funky' rectangles around it. Good lighting design does not a building make. I just hope that no poor person has those neons outside their bedroom.

Also, the fact that it looks like a cross between tetris and tron never helps. To me, it seems as if they are trying to put the world of product design onto architecture without considering the problems of the scale change. If this takes off, we're all in trouble...

Dec 26, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

oh crap. quick, someone nuke dubai!

Dec 27, 06 1:33 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

mobocracy?

Dec 27, 06 1:48 am  · 
 · 
Katze

packman inspiration = 'funky' rectangles

Dec 27, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 
binary

makes me wonder where all my money is going....

Dec 27, 06 3:09 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac
Dec 27, 06 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

Dec 27, 06 4:19 am  · 
 · 
matteo

Will Apple receive any money from copyright?

Dec 27, 06 4:58 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

This IS a joke, right?

Dec 27, 06 7:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

where do you plug your headphones in on that duck?

Dec 27, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Chch, I couldn't agree with you more. Yes, i was trying to place that facade....Tron.....I remember that movie!

I think Katze got it right on! Must have been some dejected 80's game designer! haha

I do hope they don't build that with all the chaos already going on in Dubai!

Dec 27, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Keep the chaos rollin'. Dubai is gonna be a total joke (if it isn't already) in the next 15 years. They'll never be Las Vegas, though it seems like they're trying.

Dec 27, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I think they're trying to hard, as opposed to trying to make/create their own waves (if you will).

It's too bad cause it could have been so much better! (my opinion)

Dec 27, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

it's not even a new ipod body! by the time they build the building, apple will have came out with 20 new designs.

Dec 27, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

you should see all the other shit they are proposing in dubai!

Dec 28, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

got any links to images Pert?

Dec 28, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

Hopefully the ideas will just get so bad they get good.

Like this

man, I wish that would get built...

Dec 28, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

+

The Godzilla Building - Artist’s Rendition

Dec 28, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hahaha, now that's funny/cool/weird!

Dec 28, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

yah!
animatronic Dinosaurs, rollercoasters, lofts in famous monuments, ETC! that was it! I saw it at the dubai cityscape!

http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/abha-malpani/dubai-goes-prehistoric-218907.php

they are proposing all kinds of crazy shit!

Dec 28, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: