Archinect
anchor

Why are you on Archinect on Christmas Day?

Folks, why are there so many of us online, much less on Archinect on Christmas Day?

Dec 25, 06 1:46 pm
ripomatic

I'm a Jew, archinect is all I have today. Oh and also Chinese food and a family movie on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Dec 25, 06 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah perfect. I'm away from family stuck here for the weekend, left alone with a few bottles of wine and Archinect.

Dec 25, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

The rest of the family isn't here yet. I'm bored.

Dec 25, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

someone stole my car last night so i cant go anywhere

Dec 25, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i saw the family last night and today i'll just be dropping off gifts to my godchildren...i'm thinking of going on a pilgrimage today...maybe salk institute...

Dec 25, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

I'm an atheist. so I don't even have the pleasure of Chinese food and the family movie (if I was on the upper west side).

Dec 25, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

well I'm half way through the bottle of wine, and I'm back. I should of thought of the pilgrimage I could of gone to...wtf red wine working too well

Dec 25, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

because i am in ashland, ohio with tina's family and i just got bunch of really cool clothing basically the new issues of what i always wear (a jean, two white cotton shirts and tee shirts and i already wearing them).
i just put the turkey in the oven after prepping it. i am in charge of roasting the turkey and making the gravy as usual year after year, it is very special when i make it and people wait for it whole year...
harry passed away two years ago but his presence is felt in a nice way he was a great father in law, a grand american and a man of some great sense of humor. there has been christmas carols going on and on since the morning and i just told tina to turn it down. there are three of us now, mom, t, and me. brother ross and his family live down the street and they'll be here anytime now. everybody is really cool. it is huge beautiful house in georgian style built in 1952 with an architect. there is a flag pole in front with american and british flags on them. patricia (mom) is english and she still proudly maintains her british citizenship.
i am muslim but thank you jesus, you are a good guy.
this is a dial up connection.
i arrived last night and was picked up by a stretch limo that patricia sent fot me to cleveland airport. that was something. it was supposed to be a town car but limo service didn't have anything else available. what a trip.

Dec 25, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

BECAUSE ARCHINECT IS MY FAMILY!!!!!

Dec 25, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
med.

Cuz Christmas things are annoying and overrated.

Dec 25, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Big party at my in-laws house today and they are all polish and prefer to speak polish. hmmm...I DON'T SPEAK POLISH. Oh well. I probably should be finishing up my grad school application anyway. ummm, just need one more glass of wine. It's so good when it touches your lips.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Dec 25, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

i'm thinking you might need new in-laws

Orhan - i love that post. How did you do the turkey??

Dec 25, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

im with my folks, but i've got the laptop in the living room with me, and they're all laying around and getting ready to eat.

Dec 25, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

turkey is cooked just really simple. stuff it w/ homemade stuffing, sawn it back up, rub it with olive oil and salt and place in the 350 F. breast covered up with aluminum foil for the first hour and baste it every 20 minutes after 2 hours until it's done deal. moist and delicious. patricia expects us to dress up with her british accent and aristocrat ways.

Dec 25, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
archbishop

First half of "the game" is on. I'm gettin' me some rum + coke up in there, then I'm gonna sit on the couch with "the fam" and continue to get my "swerve" on. I don't care who wins. My liver loses. That's all that matters.

In all honesty, we celebrated Christmas yesterday because my brother-in-law had to fly out this morning. He's on his way back to Afghanistan for another two months. Pretty low-key today. Just coordinating the logistics of all of the gift returning, gift re-ordering, gift-swapping, gift re-gifting and gift-(re)charging.

Dec 25, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Golly, archbishop. My heart is with your bro-in-law and family. What a nightmare to have to go to Afghanistan today of all days - terrible.

Every time I start to think I'm having a sucky Christmas, I hear a story like that and realize my husband and son are both healthy and we are all together so I should just be enormously grateful.

Great story Orhan.

Dec 25, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh and I'm online because my husband is giving the boy a bath so I finally got a moment to myself today. And when I have a moment to myself it is nice instead to share it with you all.

OK, now I'm on bedtime story duty. A peaceful night to all.

Dec 25, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'm on because I have a little time between the dinner thing and going to the bar (my 8th year of this wondLerful tradition). I am thinking of ways to not break my leg. So far I have come up with this: Don't drink any beers with 9% alcohol, or better yet avoid Erie Brewing Company products.

Wish me luck...

Merry Christmas everyone. (Even you atheists. I am an atheist too you know.)

Dec 25, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Home now. Hope everyone had a good day. Mine wasn't so bad after all. Still finishing it off with wine, as I have the past 4 days. It just seems like the right thing to do.....

Off to Chicago tomorrow night, by land. Wish me luck too! I don't plan on breaking anything either....

Dec 25, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

I'm muslim, so today's been another day of working on grad apps. My dad helped me hang a sculpture I needed to re-photograph for my portfolio in the front yard, so it was nice to be around all the neighborhood kids with their new remote controlled toys. and it's been nice to finally be home with the entire family, even if we're all working on our own things.

i still get in the xmas spirit by building an elaborate gingerbread house every year, but decided to postpone it this year until the new quarter starts so my friends and i can get together and build gingerbread mosques!

What's even more exciting is the muslim holiday, Eid, falls on new years eve this year...twice the reason to party. merry xmas, happy hannukah, happy kwanza, eid mubarak and (early) happy 2007.

Dec 25, 06 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
kellynsee

because i had to talk to bf online (he's in italy-learning more stuff about architecture) and i logged on to archinect while waiting for him to log in.

Dec 25, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, I didn't realize there was a muslim holiday too. How do I work this into my holiday greeting, which used to be "happy chrismakwanzakkuh": maybe happy chrismakwanzakkuh eid new year's.... no, too obvious.....ooh ooh, I know:

Happy New Chrismakwanzakkuhbarak! Woo hoo!

Perhaps I should lay off the shiraz.

Nah.

Dec 25, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Nah, the more Shiraz the merrier! Bottoms up WK...

Happy Chrismakwanzakkuhbarak!

Dec 25, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

wonderk, how long will you be in chicago?

Dec 25, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

it is 9 pm and holiday festivies are over and everyone is sated after a round of carol and hymn signing around the piano. now i am gearing up to work on the ole p-folio. also we are gloating over our goodies. woohoo!

Dec 26, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

myriam, no more than 36 hours. It's for work. Wish I could stay longer but I have to come home, check in, and then jet off to New York on Saturday! SkyMiles, anyone?

Anyway, I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Dec 26, 06 12:48 am  · 
 · 

well its 3am and i just returned from dinner...kept it light tonight only a bottle of red wine and a couple glasses of V&T. Spent the portion of the night talking about cameras and then with Pete about the old days with the Beatles, music and the new awful Cultural Centre they are building here and the sad references to the EMI by Frank Gehry (of course nothing to do with architecture). Tired, sloshed, and well not feeling as sad about the holidays...Happy Holidays to everyone hoping you had a safe and architecturally filled day.

mwah!!

Dec 26, 06 2:17 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i made it to my christmas day at the salk institute...the main courtyard was closed but i expected that...left san fernando valley around 2pm ( i planned on leaving no later than that because its a 2 hour drive to la jolla)...expecting to get there during sunset...

so i got there at around 4:30 pm and here are the pictures...

i entered from the side, which was surprising...i wasn't expecting the building to be as spectacular...but it was...

walking on the service road...

teak and concrete...why build the teak all the way to the sides when you can leave gaps and have narrow windows on the sides?

walkway...look to the left and it's the ocean to relax those knotty brains...

throwing the horns...

up...

no such thing as after thought...gotta plan it so the pieces interlock...

the moon and the security camera...

this is their workplace...

money shot..

christmas at the salk...because it doesn't snow in southern california...

unwind that brain with some color in the offices...

labs, a full story for mechanical systems, labs again, then a story for mechanical systems...integrated drains are included in the thought process...

dammit! kahn is good!...check out that piece of concrete ledge...

birch tree...

he forgot to include the lazy ones in his pedestrian diagram...

exhaust duct...it looks good next to the concrete...

blurry christmas tree...

because tacking on a gutter and a downspout on that nicely formed concrete just wouldn't be right..

take a break...lets not make the cafeteria look like a lab...plus your coat might be contaminated by spores...

tman, regarding your "alone in xmas" thread...there are people out there during christmas and the holidays...

drove back to l.a....had some some drinks at a friends house and now i'm here uploading photos and drinking some pinot grigio...

Dec 26, 06 4:55 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Yeah to pinot grigio...loved the pics dammson!

Dec 26, 06 5:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dammson, what an amazing gift of a beautiful phtot essay!! Holidays at Salk, absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for posting.

Also, that uncaptioned pic of the red flower with the concrete volumes in the back is a *perfect* picture for a holiday card for next year.

Beautiful. Thank you.

Dec 26, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 

i sorta wish i had been on archinect on christmas day. i like you guys better than some of the people i was with.

but i wouldn't have missed my daughter's first christmas as a real person. (last year she was only 6 mos.)

Dec 26, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

d- you've sparked some california dreaming on a (not so) cold winter day.

that 'birch tree' is most likely a california sycamore or an eucalyptus. i don't remember seeing any birches in the landscaping around the salk, but lots of both those other trees.

both species have 'peeling' bark, the eucalyptus tends to come off in long ragged strips while the sycamore is more patchy/mottled. The leaves in your pic look more oblate then palmate- ie long and thin then big maple-like - so your 'birch' is probably an eucalyptus.

great magic hour lighting- anybody know when the sunset aligns with the axis of the Salk? or can anybody do that quick calculation???

SW- so eighteen months makes her a real person? what was she before- a peanut?

Dec 26, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

going to the salk makes one incredible jealous about their workplace. think of how horrid labs are typically... some of the worst of the worst! i wonder if lab workers kiss the ground the day they arrive for their sabbatical.

Dec 26, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

hell yeah...the eye of a treekiller'scaper...
my bad, it is a eucalyptus...the leaves were long and thin and the trunk didn't have the pronounced knots like a birch tree...

Dec 26, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Hey dammson, I wish I was on here yesterday, I woulda seen your idea of the pilgrimage and had you pick me up (Im in the SF Valley too)

The last time I was at the Salk, they had some bastard ass security that wouldn't even let me take a picture of me standing near (anywhere) the bldg, and he followed me everywhere I went, till I left the place. Bastard!!

Beautiful pics mate!!

Dec 26, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You should have hid in the bathroom stall for a while. Maybe made some noises of distress.

Next time.

Dec 26, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

dammson - birches are more wintery then those trees from down-under. so you were in the holiday spirit with your captions!

Dec 26, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: