Archinect
anchor

archi-bling

kim l.

d&g's super bling restaurante - check out the golden bamboo bathrooms...

http://www.dolcegabbanagold.it/

Dec 23, 06 11:46 pm
tman

lame

Dec 24, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

it's lame but it's gonna be a hit...

Dec 24, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I was going to say the same thing...

…the bling factor is high and probably too cool for someone like me to be seen in:) I couldn't get the menu option to open…?? What is the menu like?

Dec 24, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
archislave

its like a drugged up ronchamp openings

Dec 24, 06 1:47 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the menu is broken...

Dec 24, 06 2:30 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

actually, the menu just switches from text to the pictures of the menu...that's what i'm seeing with my internet connection at least...

Dec 24, 06 2:32 am  · 
 · 
Katze

yeah, and so is the concept...zing! ah, all in good fun, really:)

Dec 24, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

its all good katze..express them all...

Dec 24, 06 2:43 am  · 
 · 

Looks none too comfortable, but I'd give it a whirl. The ingots motif is vaguely amusing. I'm tempted to make a scatalogical remark about the rest rooms, along the lines of a line from *Amadeus* but I shalln't. The Starck hotel in Paris is more fun.

Dec 24, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 
archbishop

I'd throw a fish-eye on my cam, get some pics of myself reflected in the bling, and flee, never to return. What a disaster. The gold bar elevator indicator is depressing.

Dec 25, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
binary

gold is sooooo 80's......

:

Dec 25, 06 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dg is soo eurotrash

Dec 25, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A few things:

First, I thought tman's first comment wasn't this lame but this lame. Sorry I don't know how to make the little accent over the e. Lame as in "gold lame trim on Britney's garter belt" which is also, IMO, lame.

Also, this line from Pynchon comes to mind, something about being decorated in "the essentially Reagan-era colors of silver and gold."

Back in the late 80s when weddings really started to get out of control there was a trend to decorate your cake with edible gold leaf. All the chefs were talking about how ingesting a little bit of gold won't hurt you. I felt sure that as a society we had gone way over the top in terms of conspicuous consumption at that point. Obviously I was wrong.

Is there such a thing as a poop-bomb? If so, I'd like to see someone drop such a thing on that place when it is in full swing.

And finally, there is really nothing in the least bit spatially or materially interesting about the place. Just looks like a lot of gold spray paint.

Dec 26, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 

a nicely dressed box. maybe a suggestion of what d&g could do for my plain jane self?

actually the bistro(t?) is much better. still a box/container, but the slithery booths and the breuer-esque bottle niches start to make some playful things happen to the space.

Dec 26, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

Was that done in collaboration with Donald Trump?

Dec 26, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

btw, the caption for that photo is "Donald and Melania unwind at home in Manhattan".

Huh?

Dec 26, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also, let's face it: those "gold" ingot-ey shapes are made out of brass. Why not call the place "Brass"? Otherwise, make it all in actual gold (I once saw a solid gold tea set at Chatsworth House (as solid as gold can be, I know it's never pure) - it glowed with this interior liquid light that brass just doesn't have.).

There is nothing I like about this project, built manifestation or concept. In fact there is essentially nothing about it that doesn't make me slightly sick to my stomach.

Dec 26, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

cryzko, 80's as in spandau ballet 80's

Dec 26, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Looks very Kubrick to me...

Dec 26, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

I imagine eating in that restaurant would feel like eating on the sales floor of Macy's or Barney's.

Dec 26, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the sticky stone looks like crap

Dec 26, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
SOLID!!!
Dec 26, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that's beautiful, vado!!

one of my favorite songs is on #9 "Be Near Me" by ABC...got it on vinyl...

high heeled boots with sock...panty hose to the waist and thongs pulled up to the max...oh and leopard pattern with leather...

Dec 27, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
AP

kubrick has much more class than that brass.

Dec 27, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i only made it as high as the miami vice theme. then i got really sick to my stomach and i wasnt even in cincinnati.

Dec 27, 06 12:32 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Hilarious…I propose projecting the count down video on the d&g ceiling.

Dec 27, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

bad taste, but sensual.

Dec 27, 06 1:47 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

mobocracy...

Dec 27, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

FOA's not gonna like that bistrot interior...

Dec 27, 06 1:51 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

what's FOA?

Dec 27, 06 1:52 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

Foreign Office Architects. That's their entry for the Pompidou, Metz.

Dec 27, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

HAHAHAHAHAHA..what a pansy-ish place ! !
I can guess what the waiters would be wearing...

Dec 27, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

crazy dutch bastards..

Dec 27, 06 2:49 am  · 
 · 
Katze

simply divine nevermore...:) now this outfit would really pull the whole concept together. Yee Haw!

Dec 27, 06 2:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: