Archinect
anchor

bRink

Is bad / good karma contagious? Do you ever feel like things at work / school are spiralling into an impending train wreck that never comes?

How do you reverse this self inflicted mental and emotional spiral and inject some positive energy into every work day and into everyone around you who you work with?

Do I need a vacation? Or is it the freak wind storms that have knocked out all the power in half of Western Washington and resulted in people having to huddle by candles at night for warmth, not getting their beauty rest, and subconsciously transfering the end of the world mentality in minor teaspoons all over the city, and bad luck keeps domino-effecting day by day, and everybody can't wait to take their holiday time off...?

Maybe I should sleep or have a glass of wine...

What do you do to maintain ongoing positivity and good karma? What do you do when you are in a rut?

Dec 22, 06 1:00 am
strlt_typ

what doesn't work though is staying at home and not sharing these thoughts and feelings to your friends at a bar...

Dec 22, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Good point... But then if you generally know you've got an infliction of bad karma, isn't sharing the karma a bit dangerous? It's sortof like not wanting to pass on a bad cold...

Dec 22, 06 1:41 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Karma doesn't work like that! Doesn't anyone read owner's manuals anymore?

Dec 22, 06 1:45 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

page 4 of the manual says that karma can get lost in drunkeness...

Dec 22, 06 1:48 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah. And karma isn't passed on while drinking with friends. Buy a round. Now that is creating new, good karma. Unless you drink your friends' beers while they pee. Bad karma. Bad!

Dec 22, 06 1:52 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

garpike, you're confusing bad karma with mess with a friend karma...that one is good...

Dec 22, 06 2:23 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh right.

Dec 22, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i'll email you in pdf...page 6

Dec 22, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Got ot right here. Basically it says that the person who cuts you off on the 10, will get pooped on later in life.

So... while you may experience bad karma, you don't carry it with you. But rather it will all balance itself out.

Now if you were the one doing the bad deed, you may want to wear a hat.

Dec 22, 06 2:54 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

ok...you're getting serious...

Dec 22, 06 2:57 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

let's get back to fuckin' around...

Dec 22, 06 2:58 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ok. I'll stop.

I said pooped.

Dec 22, 06 2:58 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

nah man...poop's in the index...i remember clearly...

Dec 22, 06 3:01 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Crap! Ok... no more serious poop.

Dec 22, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Garpike

Have you been drinking?

Dec 22, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

bRink, I've been floundering under bad karma quite a bit lately.

What works for me is getting work done. When I feel like things are spiralling out of control - which I do - it helps to try to control at least some little part of it.

So I started by cleaning out the linen closet. Then I got my desk cleared off of all the crap I need to take care of like filing reimbursible receipts. Then I made the calls to the Historic Preservation people I've been avoiding. I ordered all the chocolate gifts we sent to clients this year (this was a true karmic balance because I was giving gifts, which always feels good, and simultaneously giving up a chuck of money that conceivably could have been a small end of year bonus for me - I'm not getting one.) I finally invoiced that freelance job from a year ago. I dealt with an insurance issue.

Basically I need to feel like I'm accomplishing something - anything at all, which is why I started with the linen closet - to get back to feeling like I have some influence over my environment. I've found that the so-called "relaxing rewards" - like taking a hot bath, having a drink, carving out some "me-time" - just end up feeling selfish and like I'm putting off the inevitable. Dealing with the things that have to be dealt with always helps my spirits. As does helping someone else deal with things - do you have any friends that need help getting packages to the post office or is there a neighbor's sidewalk that needs to be cleared of snow? Any parents in your office need two hours of babysitting to get holiday errands done?

Good luck.

Dec 22, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

I find bad Karma is best dealt with by ramping-up the impending doom scenario to baroque / parodic levels, concluding with the statement 'We are but organic matter clinging for dear life to the surface of a dead rock being hurled through the vacuum of deep space at however many million miles per minute. Coffee?'

Dec 22, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

solidred you just made me laugh - so that ups your karma to slightly less than baroque, eh? Perhaps just art deco?

Dec 22, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bad Karma....is always overcome Barbecue. I guess it is funny how the mind works this thought was triggered by baroque....

Dec 22, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Liberty, thanks for that. That's a good point about the much needed "me time" being synonymous with "stay put time"... As my grandma would always tell me whenever I get burnt out: "Change of work is rest!" Okay, time to do a late pass of holiday shopping and then go buy a round of beers back home! (catching the red eye tonight) Have a happy holidays! :)

Dec 22, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

does turning in your 2 weeks notice right after you get your holiday bonus bring bad karma?

Dec 22, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

mdler, yes. Last night I was. And tonight as well.

Wooo!

holz, in deed it does not. After the bonus, then yes.

Dec 22, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ooops, I misread. Yes, holz, it does.

Dec 22, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

You know, I agree with garpike. But then I was talking to someone about this and they said that it would only be bad karma if holz accepted the bonus and then quit without giving a two week notice. Hummm…so you might be ok holz.

Dec 24, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

give a two week notice then go on vacation

Dec 24, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

That’s funny mdler – I had a friend once that in lieu of giving notice did a week of sick time, then added a couple weeks of vacation and then asked for personal time off so he could look for a new job.

Dec 24, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
archbishop

Yoga. Even if just Child's Pose. Have you ever tried Child's Pose? If not, do it now. You don't need special clothing or a mat. A rug or carpeted floor would be nice.

Think yoga isn't for you? Check it out. A couch potater could do it, and this one does:

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/475_1.cfm

Yoga is not about being fit. It's about being good to yourself, no matter what your shape. It's primarily for the mind, the body just follows, good or bad.

Yoga makes for better architects, and therefore better architecture.

Dec 25, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: