Archinect
anchor

quitting school

onLi

I just finished my third semester of architecture grad school, and now I am considering for quitting. The main reason is that I don't think I want to be an architect anymore. I am sick of building models, not sleeping, having no life outside of school, and I am sick of people not liking my stuff but they are telling me that I have talent. They (professors) are saying I'm just too timid.. huh?

I now decided to quit school and apply for a job that I like to do without having stress to death. I'd like to work at a place like studio 585 (gensler), where it has innovative design works for variety of diff. design areas. I have a strong art background, a degree (BFA) in Interior Design and I love to do graphic design work as well as architecture. (I still like architecture, I just don't want to become an architect.. I don't know if it make sense of not)

So, my question is... is there a lot of places like studio 585? If you know, can you list them? Also, is it pretty tough to get in studio 585?

Thanks guys.

Dec 20, 06 5:15 am

if you've done three semesters, i'd recommend sticking with it until the end. you only have one more, right? even if you decide architecture's not for you (and i totally sympathize/empathize) the degree is useful and can help open doors to other design professions. and it's more likely that you can land an internship at a place like studio 585 or similar if you've got the degree behind you.

Dec 20, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Have you considered taking a leave of absence? One thing you could do is finish out this year, while trying your hardest to line up a fulltime job in an architecture firm for the summer (and perhaps beyond). Some of your current frustrations are really due to the typical architecture school experience - and are not all that relevant to the experience of actually working in architecture once you get out of school - while others are more universal through the life of your career.
Try to work in the field and see if you like that. If you do then it's probably worth sticking out the school experience. The work experience may even help you to kind of step back and see what you're doing in school more objectively and attach less stress to it.
But if you work in one or two firms and decide it's just not for you then that's ok - lots of people start architecture school and decide to move on to something else. Undergrad architecture programs in particular have a very low graduation rate - in some schools less than 40% of those who start an architecture major finish it.

Dec 20, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

get the degree and then quit. if you don't like it now you definitely aint gonna like it later.

Dec 20, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, degeree then quit. I agree with Vado - if you don't like it now, when its particularly rosie, you'll hate it later. I decided half way through my MArch to focus on graphics, web and 3D. I finished all my studio projects, did well, etc., but made a conscious effort to learn tons about each of those professions, the software, respected firms, etc.

You'd be surprised how many arch professors would encourage switching professions or at least learning the skills of other professions.

An architecture degree will look great if you are trying to find a position in a graphic's firm (that's what Studio 585 is).

There are tons of tgraphic/environment firms out there. You'll work normal hours, work on quick projects (nothing dragging out for years), make better money, etc.

I'd spend the rest of the time in grad school doing the following:

1. put together a portfolio for architecture
2. another one aimed at graphic firms
3. read Computer Arts and Computer Arts Special (do the tutorials) - finding inspiration and quality examples is priceless (good thing, too, 'cause the mag costs a fortune!)
4. Go to sites like www.newstoday.com, www.computerlove.net, www.moluv.com, www.favoritewebsiteawards.com - read, research and learn. No way better to learn than to study the best.

Good luck.

Dec 20, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

ditto. or just save the cash and put into doing something else they might enjoy.
no sense in wasting another 45 grand on something they really don't care about...
actually in terms of pay, they should stick with their interior design degree, the second you get an architectural degree your pay plummets....funny, huh.

Dec 20, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
tofuloaf

switch to landscape architecture.

its way more fun and the pay is better becuase there are fewer of us. besides, all the cool architecture firms are most interested in landscape now anyway.

Dec 20, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

If I were to quit school, I'd go on a reality TV circuit. First the Real World, then the Real World Reunion, then Real World vs. Road Rules, then the Surreal Live, and then maybe Blind Date, and then who knows!?!

Dec 20, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

First off, I think it would depend on the circumstances. It may not cost onli $45k to finish - maybe they attend a state school where it's cheaper. He/she hasn't mentioned that.

In that case, if it's not going to be a huge financial debt accrued, I would agree with a combination of the other people: take a leave of absence (or a travel grant if that is possible?) to get some relaxation and professional experience, and then finish, unless you know that there is something else you want to study on the graduate level instead, then switch to that. Graduate degrees do help with pay. Even if you have an architecture degree and you go into somethign else.

Dec 20, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Hey, my former mail man was into his last year of school and quit.....now all he does is walk around and deliver mai......not that it is a bad job if your living in Hawaii but in New England...Days are either very nice or just plain crappy.

Dec 20, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
archasm

don't be a fool. stay in school.

Dec 20, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

drink milk

Dec 20, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

do you know that in new york, the secretary at a hedge fund can make over $130,000..... most only have a bachelor's
degree. we have been educated to believe we will lead a better life because of our education...the problem is that the higher educated you are, the further away from contact with power you move....power pays for those closest first, on down the line....we're very far removed from power in the architecture world.

Dec 20, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

deep

Dec 20, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
onLi

Thank you, thank you all so much for your respondes. I'll quickly explain my situation more... Like j said, I still have 2yrs left on grad program, and I do go to a state university without any debt. Gladly, my parents have been paying for all (really everything) including my private art school undergrad years.

To be honest, even after holding an architecture degree, what scares me the most if the low pay. I don't think I can ask for more money to my parent after having a job.

I'm thinking, I'll still be in school for the spring semester while I'm building my porfolio for the job. But, is it still worth to finish the degree? 2 more yrs.... I might consider for a leave of absence after this semester.

trace, I don't particularly want to do graphic design. I have an interest and would like to work in a firm where I can use all my skills of interior design, graphic design, and architecture. I thought 585 was a right place since they do retail design of a bit of architecture, interior design as well as graphic design on CI. Is there more firms that shares similar characteristics?

Thank you all for your help. I really really appreciated.

Dec 20, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Didn't they do the Volkwagon Show Room Prototype? With the sloped glass walls and funky yellow entry

Dec 20, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh, wow. your parents are paying for your complete education, and you want to quit? you won't have any student loans at all and you are still worried that architects don't make enough?

hmm. perhaps the lifestyle of an architect will be a shock after all.

Dec 20, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
arch6

I do not not know how many times I have been in your position since I started school. All I can tell you is what's 5 months of your life, that's all you have left right?

I have 2 big suggestions for helping you get through the semester. First, if you are hanging out with friends outside of architecture, try to keep it to a minimum. If you are in grad school, you probably have a lot of friends that are not in school and they will make having to stay in on the weekends a lot more difficult. They are a great escape from the architecture school world, which at some points can seem to be all encompassing. However, try to find outlets like bringing all your digital work to coffee shops in order to escape the studio, but still feel like you are part of the outside world.

Next, when it comes to professors being hard on you in crits, try to think of this. It may seem like they are being hard on you now, but imagine what it is going to be like in the real world. Just imagine building a permanent structure out there in the real world, and what it might feel like to have critics or locals decide that what you just built is crap! It might seem stressful now, but when you build a real building it takes on a whole new level. What ever you build will change the environment for a long period of time. Just look at it as though they are preparing you for the real world.

In the end, not everyone is going to like your stuff, because we all have different styles, and different tastes. The critics will only help you further be able to defend your style of architecture or perhaps even help you to look at things in a different way.

I know you might be tired of architecture school, but have you thought of maybe doing a semester abroad with your school? That way you are still in school, but it doesn't have to feel like it. On study abroad programs they realize that it is also important to soak up what is going on out there in the real world. The only difference is that the real world is in another country.

I hope that helps, good luck. In the end what ever decision you decide will be right for you.

Dec 20, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

then there's licensing after school...

Dec 20, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

A couple of points....

1. I've found school to be a lot more fun and easier than work. At work you toil all day on someone else's crappy ideas but at school you get to work on your own crappy ideas.

2. If money is what you want then definitely forget about ANY design field and go to business school. (Goldman Sachs CEO bonus this year 53.4 million) or even better do as I did and marry someone in business school.

3. I have the same BFA Interior Design background and I've learned that I need to get licensed to maintain control of my designs. Otherwise some no talent hack of an architect will $%^& up my design. "Obviously I'm not talking about the architects on archinect."

4. I don't want to start a pissing match with fellow archinectors but... most architects I have met can create beautiful shells but can't design an interior to save their life. By having both backgrounds it'll make you a double threat.

5. Dezign had a great recommendation. Limit the time you spend with non-arch students. Misery likes company so stick with your fellow arch students.

regardless of what you choose to do goodluck.
By the way what state are you in? I'm thinking about applying to one state school and was wondering if you're there.

Dec 20, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Def finish school.....you can't see it now, but when you're done and you look back you will be glad you stuck it out and finished, even if its not what you will be doing, because as it was said, this will be a 'springboard' into other related fields (esp with your background). Stick with it, and believe me there is something to be said, and respect you will gain from those that understand the toil and effort you put and things you gave up to remain steady with it.

Just remember, quitting is easy, but what then? And will you be kicking yourself later for having stopped short? Maybe not in 6 mos or a year, but what about 5 yrs or 10 yrs from now???

Make sure you know your repercussions and whether or not you can accept them later on in life! (esp. if your parents are paying FOR EVERYTHING right now).

my $.02 cents

Dec 20, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I am totally bi-polar in school. In reality I am pretty even keeled and level headed. In school I vary day to day week to week, hating school, liking school. That said, I can't wait to graduate. I've wanted to drop out many many times, even this semester when I had a REALLY good critic. The school environment doesn't seem to mesh with me. And sometimes I consider not being an architect, but to me it almost seems like once you start, might as weel finish. Especially if someone it footing the bill. I really don't want to do next semester at school. I'm not excited at all. But it's almost over. The idea of each semester makes me sick haha, but I just buck up and do it. In the end, i think it will be good, but really don't like school as a whole.

Dec 20, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I enjoy the working world much more in many ways than I enjoyed school. There's nothing like putting all your effort into something and seeing it actually get built--even if it's not as "cool" as that pedestrian bridge you designed back in school, with no actual structural requirements. To me, the challenge of making something beautiful within the many limits of reality is way more fun than the blank slate of paper architecture any day.

On the other hand, I've been lucky to work in really fun firms! I guess if I were doing corporate work I'd probably stab my eyeballs out with a leadholder. And then sign up for blind architecture grad school.

Dec 20, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Actually, I take that back. There are lots of things I miss about school. For example, the ability to just sit and learn--and go to the library, and research, and sponge up knowledge from people and books and the world around you. That's incredible. However, for me the chronic sleep deprivation made me aware of the fact that I could and should be getting so much out of being in such a wonderful place--but I simply couldn't absorb it all, physically. Also, I had to be in studio, not reading fascinating books in the library. So overall I guess that sort of sad frustration colors my memories. I managed to learn a decent amount, however.

Dec 20, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

check out Imaginary Forces. they do all sorts of design work that range from the fictional (for movies like minority report) to the real (for IBM) to the virtual (they did the virtual Laguna Beach for MTV (for better or worse)). some interesting stuff. they span from architecture/interior design to graphics to systems engineering etc. etc.

Dec 20, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

myriam - you still use leadholders?

Dec 20, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i love my lead holder. and lead pointer...

Dec 20, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

does enthusiasm in school deteriorate over time? Currently I am really enjoying it. Yes it is a lot of work and a lot of stress but I'm loving what I'm doing. Maybe it is because I've only had one semester of this. Does it get tiring after awhile?

Dec 20, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

(sigh) i wish i still used lead holders. i loved them. i actually still keep my trustiest model handy... just in case.

sashimi--i loved school too. i just love not being in school (and holding a fun job) more. i also hated many aspects of school, at the same time. sometimes the one feeling won out more than the other.

Dec 20, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

sashimi....
indeed there were times when I can recall, I frankly just wanted out. Just like with work (depending where you might be working) that you will have peaks and valleys with regards to your enthusiasm. I wouldn't say it will deteriorate, just FLUCTUATE!

Hey....theres a word for 2006 FLUCTUATE!

Just go with the flow and/or make your own flow as u are in school!

And above all, I say enjoy.

(on a side note, they way I made my own flow was to eseentially come up with my own manifesto on architecture - which was ever changing) and I still hold on to some of those truths!

cheers

Dec 20, 06 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

a few places like 585:

Design Continuum, IDEO... i really like BMW design group, and a few others i cannot think of. Although, compared to 585, they are more of an industrial/engineering based design rather than truly environmental graphics.

you know what else is really interesting? high production set design (both film and theater).. i prefer theater as it seems less of an illusion than on screen, and more of an actual character. and theater is becoming really more open to abstraction/expressive design.

But onLI, i understand where you want to go. for me, the hard thing with architecture is the burden it places on you. definately not in all cases, but it instills a certain mindset to succeed and almost insane sense of drive, no matter what the hardships/obstacles. Which is perhaps amazing, but to some people it is a turn off. Id rather just flow and make some space! i dont mind when others read into my design/analyze it. but sometimes im so sick of trying to defend or express it in order to sell it...
even tho its not a bad way or good way. . .its just not my way

Dec 20, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

i also love my leadholder. and my eraser holder.

Dec 21, 06 7:45 am  · 
 · 
DaBokEE

onLi, you sound like me. I feel ya~ *sigh*
I thought about quitting many times and then wondered what else I'll do...then imaged myself full of regrets in my wrinkly age when it's too late to go back. The "what if" always stops me from quitting. Oh and the time. I disagree with the saying "it's never too late."

Dec 30, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^^^ haha the "what if's". That alone keeps pushes me ahead.

Dec 30, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i like the "marry into money" approach

Sep 24, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
hcrakuf530

at least you got accepted to the school of arch....

Dec 6, 08 5:11 am  · 
 · 
niro

its funny how people in school thinks 585 is some cool place to work, and people who works there consider 585 just a group of graphic/branding inexperienced kids that makes pretty pictures.
When I was at rock center, I love asking them to do brouchours and layout presentations for me, its nice to have a graphics farm in house.

Dec 11, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
c

... this seems to be an ancient post .. but if its live perhaps helpful..

Am in a v. similar boat ( just finishing 3rd semester of mArch , ) AM on the fence as to whether i should 'get out now' so entry into another profession won't be so wierd/drastic ... or whether i should struggle to stick it out , get out with a skillset and then shift to another profession ...
Have a good friend in the lawschool at the same university here , he's looking at 160,000 starting salary .. not that I'm about to switch to lawschool - but for christs sake ! i want ask all my professors if they are delusional or if i am expexted to be ....

at this point i'd say i love architecture but not architecting . . . and honestly i look around at my classmates and though i admire those who i feel will make good employees .. and some of them good archtiects ... i don't feel like i have anything in common with them other than a mutantly overdeveloped aesthetic sensitivity ....which seems to me more like a disease / condition or addiction now , not a passion or craft or trade .... it just seems like something that obsures my otherwise rational mind ...

OnLi - you posted this is 06 .. if you're still out there - what happened ? you over at 585 now ?

Dec 14, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
induct

When life gives you lemons, say fuck that shit and bail.

Dec 14, 08 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Take the $160k. You can always go back to Arch

Dec 15, 08 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: