Archinect
anchor

Starting a home-based Design studio: non-registered designer

cipyboy

I am planning to start a home-based freelancing studio in Georgia but I am not registered in the state to practice architecture (although I am overseas). Understanding this, I have been researching on what I can and cannot do. 

I plan to widen my services:

Architectural concepts,  Architectural Visualization, Urban Design, Urban Interventions, Competitions, Full- Architectural Services (outside the U.S.), Product design  (using rhino + diy 3d printer), Graphics, Design Development (cadding)

Conditions:

Working alone from home. 

catering to clients from everywhere. 

Production will be outsourced.

Has anyone been into a similar situation as mine? I would love to hear some thoughts and advice. Thanks 

May 26, 12 4:23 pm
cipyboy

... bump

May 27, 12 12:26 am  · 
 · 
mdler

dont do it

May 27, 12 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

If you arent licensed and are going to outsource all production, why should I hire you? What value can you provide for me???

May 27, 12 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

mdler, if youre an architect with big projects.. i could deliver products on a lower cost. rendering per view will be cheaper, faster turnout time, that way, you wont need to hire say around 30 to 100 cad people, pay for their benefits and taxes, then later on probably fire them.. 

if youre a local client, I could design small renovations for you , installations, furniture, bookcases, the list goes on....

If you are an international client, I could do architectural designs and team with a local architect. 

The point is, I am based within the state but plan to cater clients from everywhere....

May 27, 12 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

There are many renderers and designers trying to do what you are describing. What do you do that makes you different? Above descriptions are common as far as service providing goes and it is very competitive. If your work can replace 30-100 people, you are either pompous or "parametric transhuman."

Best advice: I would go and get few clients for a starters and reality check in this market.

May 27, 12 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

bump...and I mean it...If you cant't get Registered go become an interior decorator....ya I did't say interior designer...cause interior decorators....just throw shit on the wall to see if ti sticks.  The same thing you are doing.  Sorry for being so rough on ya brother or sister but that is how it is outside of studio.

May 27, 12 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Thanks Applet. I was responding to demands of network friends from Asia, Eu and Middle East so I thought of giving Visualization a try , while offering other design services,not necessarily just architecture, along the way. I have connections overseas who could do more for less $$$, instead of getting people here. 

wow snook_dude. What a wonderfully ignorant and baseless faux tough guy comment.  Son ,I have been in the architectural game for years so I know ''how it is outside studio". Its one of the reason why I am contemplating on expanding my design services. Again , my clients would be mostly from out of state. And because of my utmost respect for ethics and state laws, I am asking around just to be sure. Sorry for being rough on ya brother or sister too but hell, I could resort to designing spoons, chairs and even spaceships if i want to. 

next .

May 27, 12 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if you got the skills to pay the bills why are you asking for advice?

May 27, 12 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

mdler, I only have some of those skills . haha.  I wanted to find out if other non-registered archi grads have resorted to putting up a design business at home that caters to international clients- if so, have they succeeded?. I admit, without my state registration, theres only a few things  that Im allowed to do within, I wanted to know what they are. Still checking w NAAB for reciprocity in the meantime.

I also thought, as a freelance, I could start developing my own brand by putting up a  business (call it a glorified freelance job if you will:) ). Also, Im Currently reading Out-of-the-box  series here in Archinect. Thanks 

May 27, 12 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sorry to be such a hard ass...my advice would be that starting out on your own can be very difficult. I would suggest developing a great business plan that shows why what you do is better than what everyone else does, and why clients should use you over the competition. Decide how you are going to brand yourself (which is sounds like you are doing) and do it.

Working for yourself can be great or it can be a huge headache. Make sure you have some business smarts

May 27, 12 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

don't use the word "architecture" or any of its related words...

May 27, 12 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Green34

I know not licensed architects in Maryland, they call themselves "architect" on their websites

the trick is that their work only about single residence and interiors

in MD, VA and DC not required to be licensed to design single residence

well, in MD sometime licensed structural engineer's stamp required

May 27, 12 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I am doing this too.  Just call yourself a designer.  I have argued about this title thing and it is obvious that no one is willing to reform the status quo.  Some of us are sick of the racket called NCARB and the lack of opportunity and upward mobility out there.  I am working on landscape design, residential, and hopefully urban design in the future.  Don't listen to the critics, they are vested in keeping competition down.  The trick is to start really small.   The licence is there to "protect the public" if you do not misrepresent yourself, and you are not in anyway doing anything illegal, than fuck what anyone says.  Yes it is really really hard, but not impossible at all. 

May 28, 12 1:41 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

@jla-x, thats true. I know some registered architects have projects outside of their jurisdictions, like in my case right now- they only need to partner with a local architect. Hell everyone is doing it.- Steven Holl, Libeskind, Starck, Rashid, and the list goes on. Starck has even put Architecture on his website. But for modesty's sake, I'll try to go with the rules. 

Green34, jla-x, I would love to hear more of your stories if you give me your contacts.

May 28, 12 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Soooo...this guy has international work all over the world but is trying to set up shop in a place where he doesn't have any work and he is legally barred from doing such work in this home jurisdiction?

The only sublime space that I'm seeing is the breathtaking canyon between this guy's ears.  Funny.  Ha ha.  Yo.

May 28, 12 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Green34

sublimespace

thanks for mentioning Starck, so nice hand renderings at his site

http://www.starckap.com/portfolio/in-progress.html

May 28, 12 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

He is calling himself and "Unregistered Designer"....I guess that is like an underachiver in the world of design.  So why don't you go take the Architectural Exam in Georgia, it  isn't any easier to take it somewhere else.  Matter of fact I does make alot of sense to be licensed where you live.  If in fact you have work all over then become a card carrying NCARB Member and it is alot easier to be registered in many States.  There are a few places where you might have to take an additional exam. Places Like California like you to have a wee bit of knowledge about shaking buildings, before they will let you run free in their State.

May 28, 12 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

question is what you provide good enough?  Waayy too many think they're good enough when the truth is, all they do is make mediocre crap that everyone else pumps out.

Are you more talk than product?  Can you really design?  Be honest with your answer, else you're only fooling yourself.

May 28, 12 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: