Archinect
anchor

Louis Kahn Car Park? Need help identifying

Mitch__

Hi,

I am trying to help my Grandfather, who is an architect, track down a photograph that he remembers seeing of a car park - he normally has an incredible memory and thinks the car park was designed by Louis Kahn.  The car park in the photograph had a facade (though these may have been structural rather than decorative) of concrete fins which changed angle, so as you drove past there seemed to be a 'wave effect' optical illusion.  I think it must have been designed in the 1950s or 1960s and he thinks it may have been part of a campus. 

I know this is not much to go on but can anyone help identifying the car park and or architect if it is not Louis Kahn? 

Thanks,

Mitch

May 26, 12 3:42 pm

i don't know of any garages that kahn designed (at least ones that were built)... but he may be thinking of the walnut st. garage on the university of pennsylvania campus, which was designed by mitchell giurgola...

May 26, 12 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Mitch__

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the message.  Maybe it wasn't Kahn then... the mystery deepens. But I don't think it was the Walnut St. building either.  From his description I think he is referring to vertical pre-cast concrete fins...like the Houston post office 'Frankin 401'...not sure if this helps? 

Thanks.

May 27, 12 5:53 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

wasn't kahn churning out around 300 buildings a year at one point in his career? 

May 27, 12 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Mitch__

Thanks for the message.  I am sure the parking garage was only 2 or 3 storeys high and I am pretty sure it was built.  Appreciate the ideas though.

May 27, 12 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: