Archinect
anchor

suggestions for applying for a job in another state

mac1231

Does anyone have suggestions on applying for a job in another state? I know architecture is not a profession where potential employers will fly you out for an interview. I would like to find a job before I move, but I know employers are most likely looking for candidates who live and have work experience in their city. Thoughts? Advice?

May 2, 11 11:19 am
quizzical

Generally, the degree to which a potential employer is willing to fly you out - and fund relocation costs, if you're hired - is a function of the scarcity of our skill set. If you're unusually well qualified to fill a specific role, then you should not dismiss the possibility of being brought in for an interview and being hired before you move -- however, it will be up to you to identify the firm and the vacant position best suited to your capabilities.

Absent the special skills discussed above, your next best bet is to network, network, network. If you have architectural friends (or acquaintances) in the region where you want to move, engage them fully and see if they can help grease the skids. Firms frequently prefer to hire individuals who have been 'vetted' in some manner, rather than hire a total stranger.

Good luck.

May 2, 11 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
mac1231

Thanks. I definitely would be willing to fly myself out for an interview, and I just want to make sure I'm not counted out immediately because I don't currently live in the same city. On another note, I'm not a fan of applying for jobs online, which it seems a lot of larger firms are doing now. I feel as though no one ever looks at your application, and it could be in the mix with hundreds of others. At least I have a job now (knock on wood), so I'll take my time to find the right job.

May 2, 11 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Apply for it like you would any other job IN your state.  It's actualyl kind of rare for a firm to require that you be a local.  If that is the case, you don't want to work there anyway.

May 3, 11 10:09 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Apply like you normally would...I applied for serveral job out of state and callbacks -suprisingly I got more calls from the people out of state than in my own city. I eventually relocated for a new job (they flew me in for my interview as well).

Go for it! In this economy I'm people are seeing resumes from all over...I don't think its that big of a deal if you are upfront about your willingness to relocate-quickly if you have to.

May 3, 11 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
mac1231

can I ask how much experience you have? I have about 4.5 years and plan to have my license by the end of the year (of course in Texas, but not in the states I am interested in moving to). The firm I currently work at is very small - 4 people, and our projects are somewhat middle of the road. We have a few well designed projects that have won AIA design awards, but as time goes on, we take on more and more healthcare projects, which are not the types of projects I am interested in. I'm looking for a big change and would like to find a job at a real design firm, but I know that's a lot to ask with my work experience, this economy, and no contacts in the cities I would like to work in.

May 3, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: