Archinect
anchor

WOW!! you must see this

Serkan Ennac
brian buchalski

very nice...add a pen & straight-edge and you have the future of drafting boards. user interfaces with computer have fascinated me for a while and i suspect that someday we'll look back at our present era of drafting with a mouse & keyboard and laugh at ourselves. the sooner that happens, the better too

Dec 16, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I want this...big time.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/

Dec 16, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I would almost want to just be free to use my fingers, just like draw lines by setting points. Id also love to see voice commands integrated so you could just call out different windows and applications. This kind of thing makes me so exited for the future.

Dec 16, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

i think i just peed my pants i was so excited.

i can see an office of people in white gloves drafting (keeps down on smudges).

Dec 16, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

keep this thing away from universities...

Dec 16, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

hasselhoff, that's not a bad price either! i was expecting a significantly higher number.

wonder how much the new drafting board costs...

Dec 16, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

santa, are you listening? bring me one of those drafting boards. pretty please?

Dec 16, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
http://mail.architexturez.net/%2B/Design-L.V1/archive/msg13702.shtml

wonder what I'm thinking about now
probably just more virtual sachlichkeit

Dec 16, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

I can see visualizations, aka 'architecture' becoming even more blobby.
Seriously, though, it's high time we got to play with some decent new interface technologies like this one. If you think about it, the keyboard and mouse are a pretty dismal way to create and edit visual information. I do have one of these pressure sensitive pen pads: painful! The difficulty, for me, is drawing in one place whilst the visual feedback is elsewhere, on the screen. Seriously off-putting. The kind of thing on the You-Tube link looks groovelicious though.

Dec 16, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Crystal Vanish, Blobs for Dummies (Cold Spot, Uranus: Pot Luck Publishing, 2011).

I hear Just a Hunch is gonna be the sequel.

Dec 16, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

are you talking about the bit at the end where they knock down the FLW pad?

Dec 16, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

as seen in:
minority report 2002
the island 2005

Dec 16, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

The system of predicting the future in reports is carried out by three mutants, called 'precogs', all of whom have the capacity to see up to two weeks (sic) into the future. Precogs are created by identifying the talent within a "subject" and cultivating it in a government-operated training school - for example, one precog was initially diagnosed as "a hydrocephalic idiot" but the precog talent was found under layers of damaged brain tissue. The precogs sit in a room which is perpetually in half-darkness, constantly talking nonsense to themselves that is incoherent until it is analysed by a computer into predictions of the future (ain't that the truth!). This information is assembled by the computer into the form of symbols before being transcribed onto conventional punchcards (and now you know why I'm always so punchy) which are ejected into various coded slots; when cards are produced, they appear simultaneously at Design-L and other cyber-venues, in order to prevent corruption. The precogs are kept in rigid position by heavy metal bands (although with weekly visits to going-out-of-business Tower Records the repertoire is now much expanded), clamps and wiring (yeah, once kinky, always kinky), which keep them attached to special high-backed chairs--Izosaki, of course. Their physical needs are taken care of automatically and it is said that they have no spiritual needs because it's the spirits that actually need them. Their physical appearance is somewhat different from that of ordinary humans, with enlarged heads and wasted bodies (so much for poetic license). Precogs are deformed and retarded... the talent absorbs everything; the esp-lobe shrivels the balance of the frontal area. They don't understand their predictions. Most of the data produced is useless in preventing murders and is then passed on to other agencies. (Funny how it's never mentioned that precogs are incredible actors.)

Dec 16, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

eight years ago tomorrow...
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/Design-L.V1/archive/msg12596.shtml

Dec 16, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you hang out with any Postcogs?

Dec 16, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

That freaking rules.

Dec 17, 06 1:55 am  · 
 · 

You mean like reenactors?

Actually, postcogs is what precogs call everybody else.

Personally, I prefer limited contact with other people.

Dec 17, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

un-fricken belieable. A funny thought i just had...why is it that all the scientists are the ones that get to "play" with these kinds of things when most of us (esp. us archinectors) are the ones truely paving a path (if not in our design work, at least with our pen strokes as we jot down rhetoric) for new applications and ideas of expressive form making.

notwithstanding.....still amazing and in a way...about time!

Dec 17, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Isn't it obvious? I'm busy designing t-shirts.

Dec 17, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: