Archinect
anchor

Neutra's Strathmore

Serkan Ennac
strlt_typ

so?...

the front unit is for sale...i went to the open house and from what i remember they were selling it for around $900,000 +- $50,000...the unit is small. one large living room, one bedroom, one bathroom (the door bangs into the toilet and doesn't open completely)...a small patio...and a kitchen...the allure for me were the spaces between the separate units...it really "removes you from the outside world"...lush landscaping...i like seeing buildings from the so called modern age and looking at how primitive the building really is...and the intention to modernize...

Dec 16, 06 4:57 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

sorry, not the front unit above the garage...but the one behind that

Dec 16, 06 4:58 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

my friend adam eeuwens lives there and he's so happy (maybe just because of living in a neutra building i dunno).. btw I like the "then" photos

Dec 16, 06 5:04 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i'm uploading photos from the time i went...so which one did your friend buy?

Dec 16, 06 5:12 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah man, it's pretty over there...

Dec 16, 06 5:15 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

my favorite are the stairs getting narrower as they serve less people...

Dec 16, 06 5:39 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

i actually don't know which one he lives in but you can ask adam or rebeca mendez when you go there..i think they show their house to you

Dec 16, 06 6:11 am  · 
 · 

wasn't modern great before all the various building pieces actually got standardized?

Dec 16, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

they were trying to figure out what to standardize...therefore producing variety...

Dec 16, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

i lived across the street from these things in westwood for a whole year. and i never realized they were architecturally significant until i was long gone.

westwood is such a nice, tame area full of nice, tame college students...

Dec 16, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

[sarcasm]Yeah, Westwood's great![/sarcasm]

Dec 16, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

it's a safe little village community that's nice and wholesome, but you can leave when you want to be in real LA

besides, if you are a grad student at UCLA, where else are you going to live?

Dec 16, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
marfa stewart

are these the apartments that the eames's first lived in with the "Kazam!" machine workshop?

Dec 17, 06 2:42 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

yes marfa, right

Dec 17, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I like how they really F'd up one of Lautner's houses over by UCLA...turned it into a frat house

Dec 18, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

lautner is the coolest

Dec 18, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
marfa stewart

yes robust, lautner is great

Dec 18, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i know grad students at UCLA that live in Venice, Santa Monica, Eagle Rock, La Brea, Downtown and as far as Pasadena (no joke).

damn i wish i could live in that neutra...

Dec 18, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

oh, is parking on campus decent? if i go to ucla next year i was just planning on living in westwood so i could walk to school. and westwood, though tame, is super pleasant. i dont think i like the idea of working in the studio until 3am and then commuting back home to koreatown...

and if i lived in westwood, i could go running in bel-air!!! and eat at diddy reese. and shop at urban outfitters. and catch all the premiers at the fox. and don't forget eating at cpk! and whole foods, and that hookah joint, and let's not forget that gorgeous canyon of condo towers on wilshire. sounds like paradise to me. forget venice and echo park. i'm a westwood boy through and through.

Dec 18, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: