Archinect
anchor

most desirable skills

blackturtleneck

I don't have an architecture degree but was wondering if it's still possible to get a job at a firm by getting really good at their software, etc. What computer program skills are most valuable? Running Starbucks orders?

Thanks.

Dec 15, 06 6:24 pm
Ms Beary

girls like guys that have skills

Dec 15, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

actually, the starbuck's one is interesting, though i've never worked in a firm that didn't have in-house coffee capabilities.

Dec 15, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

skillz with a 'z' is even better

Dec 15, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
some person

There are opportunities in larger firms to be the "render guy." I worked for a 120-person firm that had two full-time render guys. They both had architectural backgrounds, which was probably helpful. If you want to go that route, you may be attractive to a firm; however they may think they can pay you less if you don't have an architectural degree.

There are other opportunities to join the administrative / project assistant staff. Firms can always use competent people to help projects stay organized (filing, FedExing, meeting minutes, correspondence), but again, it may not be a high-paying position.

Dec 15, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Whatever you decide on getting into with architecture, the best skill to have is learning to say "no".

Dec 15, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

ninja skills

Dec 15, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

some skills just speak for themselves

Dec 16, 06 12:04 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"Whatever you decide on getting into with architecture, the best skill to have is learning to say 'no'."

no

Dec 16, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 

not starbucks but highland coffee. large habana, a shot of half-and-half, please.

you could get a job simply running the software, blackturtleneck, but i'm not sure you'd want it for very long. the tasks that you'd be assigned in that role would be very different from the tasks you'd get after an architectural education. we certainly give our interns a lot of grunt work, but we try to mix it up with some small design problems that they can push and pull a little bit.

you'd probably ONLY get the grunt work because there would be no expectation that you'd know what to do if told 'we need this and this and loose so it doesn't look like we've made all of the decisions.' and therefore none of the exposure to a variety of the activities in the office that you might be trying for.

if you want skills valuable to an architecture office without going to arch school first, i'd suggest real estate or construction experience. but go to architecture school, for goodness sake!

Dec 16, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i started out as a secretary/admin assistant/office manager for a firm of 20. since i was the only admin person they had, i worked on marketing, contracts, specifications, helped with CA including O&Ms RFIs Shop Drawings..., defined the graphic standards, and they taught me CAD so i could help with drawings when we were in crunch mode. they also involved me in research projects, helped me build a portfolio, wrote all my letters of recommendations, and provided me with internships over my breaks during my college years.

was a great way to learn the business! has been an incredible assist in landing jobs over the years and gave me a better understanding of why i was doing what, in addition to humbling me the first year out of college when my peers were thinking they knew it all and should be a PM.

i also was able to enter the profession understanding the hard work, long hours and low pay that was involved so there was no let down period that occurred (sp).

you might try being a model maker for a bit. but if you're comfortable w/ admin work i really recommend that, you're more exposed to the entire workings of the office and b/c you're often times working closely with the principals you know everything that is happening.

i think it's a mistake not to go to arch school fairly early in your career though. i've worked with a number of people went the 10 year path to licensing so they didn't have to go to school and while they were great at the techy stuff, their design skills were sorely lacking, hence the reason they got the box store/warehouse/grocery jobs.

additionally, supplimenting (my spelling sucks) work experience with a couple years in a "design" program doesn't really work either. yes, you can go through a code analysis or use AutoCAD better, but "desiging" only 2 or 3 buildings doesn't really do anything but make you THINK you know how to design.

arch school has a purpose, to get you thinking conceptually. there's a reason it's 5+ years, so that you can fail until you actually learn to succeed (which hopefully you do by the time you graduate).

Dec 16, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

best thing is have the skills that they don't have or don't have to time to do. I've found having experience in Project management valuable in getting the foot and head through the door

Dec 22, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

So know those contracts...ask questions about which ones they use. By my early twenties I was being called by architects asking for me to review client/builder contracts albeit not what I wanted to do, it set the bar for me. The rest came into place after...

Dec 22, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
blackturtleneck

Thanks for the advice.

Dec 22, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: