Archinect
anchor

For Friday, a little water cooler chatter about bad drivers: US!

liberty bell

No surprise, really: it seems architects rate as some of the lousiest drivers out there.

link to the MSN news story

But note: Who makes the best driver? A farmer, of course.

Dec 15, 06 11:53 am
holz.box

well, since seattle drivers are probably the worst in the world, not just u.s., imagine how afwul several of the architects that drive here are.

man i wish i was back in mass. doing 80 mph in the "slow" lane...

also, do you think there is a tendency to ride slow in the "faster" lanes because americans don't want to be perceived as "slow" and think they are driving fast? where is the reality disconnect?

Dec 15, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wow we're 4th right behind the jackass attorneys......one of which completely and blantantly decided to overlook traffic laws and the light the other day as I was turning left (and had the arrow) and he in his f**king porsche decided he had the right of way and cut me off, almost causing me to hit him!
(and of course this is in LA, where there are about a gazillion porsches & pricks driving them)

Dec 15, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Notice we're the only profession in the top 5 worst for all three categories: accidents, speeding, and moving violations.

Except for "students", who rank #1 in everything, but aren't really a "profession" as far as I'm concerned.

Therefore architecture students must be the worst drivers on the planet - especially after pulling an all-nighter. Yikes.

Dec 15, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I thought NJ drivers were the worse, until I went to DC. At least NJ drivers know they're assholes.

Dec 15, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Reminds me of the story a former co-worker told me about his days in architecture school:

It was the end of the semester, and he had been awake for approximately a week working on his project. Final reviews came, and he did very well.

Finally, time to drive home and get some much-needed sleep. He parked his car, turned off the motor, and promptly fell asleep in the driver's seat.

He awoke a short time later to the sound of a police officer tapping on his window. As it turned out, he had flawlessly parallel parked between two large trees on the campus quad.

The officer, naturally, assumed this was a DUI situation and asked for my friend's driver's license and registration. As my friend was explaining the situation, the officer suddenly stopped filling out the paperwork and asked, "Wait... You're an architecture student?"

"Yes, sir."

(slight pause). "Oh... In that case, just go home."

Dec 15, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Yes, architecture students have to be the worst.

I can personally vouch for that. As a student I worked part time as a courier. So after working all night in studio, I would hop in my car and race all over town delivering packages. More than once I fell asleep at the wheel; one time on the freeway where I woke up driving in the grass medium...

Dec 15, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

strange though, the report doesn't include the fact that most accidents caused by architects' crappy cars falling apart in mid-commute, with axels strewn about, fenders falling off or trannies exploding*, resulting in a crash...i think that's worth noting, though i doubt it'll help our image.

*actually happened to me as my corolla odometer cruised past 260k

Dec 15, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

one time in school, after 3 days sans sleep, i had to go home and take a break.

i was driving (about 2 miles) when i came to a 4 way stop, and proceeded to wait, for what seemed like forever, for the stop sign to change green.

i pulled over and walked home.

Dec 15, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Well guess I will start filling out Farmer on all insurance applications.....

Dec 15, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i've driven many times as a zombie...

i use to work an 11-7 graveyard shift and then drive for two hours on the l.a. freeway during rush hour and make it to class at 9:00...leave school at 7:00 p.m, take a nap then do the 11-7 thing once more...it was painful...5 second long blinks while driving are not awesome...did that for 2 years of arch. school...setting myself up for some accident there but never got into one...

had the broken car thing happen to me more than once also...the worst one was when the driveshaft/u-joint in my car broke while driving 60 on the freeway...i hear this loud banging on the floor...freaked my out...i knew immediately what it was 'cause i've been neglecting to fix that driveshaft...stall in the middle lane of the freeway...it's fuckin' scary to see other cars driving past you at 70 mph...but i was really freaked out about some architecture student coming home from an all nighter not realizing my car is stalled and rear ends me at 70 mph...

i chill in the car (because that's what they tell you to do) and called AAA...they send out a CHP...the CHP i see coming from behind with the lights zig zagging in order to stop the rest of the cars behind them...stops l.a. traffic...chp talks to me and i explained to them...meanwhile the whole freeway was stopped behind me...

the cop tells me he'll give me a push...so he drives his cop car behind my car and pushed my car..."wheeeee"...that was the feeling really...

i've had many stalls on roads also...water pump leaking like a waterfall...belts snapping...i drive a piece of shit...

Dec 15, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Just a couple of weeks ago, one of my fuel injectors died. I had to drive home with the pistons misfiring, which caused the car to stall all over the place and shake violently when idling low (moreso than usual, I mean).

Another time I had the belt that goes to the alternator snap in the middle of the highway, while I was doing 80.

Once, only one of my doors would open, so I had to get in and out of the car through the passenger door. This lasted about two weeks until I got to fix the problem.

Dec 16, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

female asian architects...damn

Dec 18, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: