Archinect
anchor

How should I ask for an increase in compensation?

YourYoureYore

I have a dilemma.  I feel like I am underpaid and want to give my current employer a chance to address this and kinda clear the air before I start to pursue anything else.

For starters, I work for a small firm.  There is one architect, 2 interns (me and another) and a management consultant (who is business partners with the architect).  I handle about 5-6 clients almost exclusively including one of our largest, if not our largest altogether.  We have recurring clients since we deal with federal capital improvements that are funded yearly.  I take projects from beginning to end, including design, bidding and CA in almost all cases.  Recently I've found that I am pretty much doing project completely, the other intern reviews it and then our principal gives it a final token review and stamps/signs.

From all I can gather, I think we gross about $500-$750k a year.  My boss is very cryptic about the information he releases regarding our business.  Honestly, from how he handles that aspect of the firm it leads me to believe that he basically wants me and the other intern having no knowledge of the books.  In a lot of ways that is understandable, but it seems somewhat over the top sometimes.  My boss seems to be marching towards impending retirement.  We have a small unmanned office about 200 miles from our main office where he has a lake house so it seems like he is looking to be semi-retired in the next 5 years and work almost exclusively from that location.

Now to my salary.  I make under $35k a year.  The kicker is that my salary has increased less than 15% since I started there.  I will have completed 5 years this August.  I have completed my IDP and am preparing to test.  My employer was going to compensate me for taking the ARE tests in lieu of a raise this year, but all that really amounts to is $210 for how ever many I can tackle in the next 7 months.

Really all of this information is just background for my main question of how much should I ask for and how should I ask for it?  I really respect my employer and I've obviously learned much if not all of what I know from him.  But at some point survival and planning for the future has to trump any loyalty based on the mentorship.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

May 19, 12 7:15 pm
OneLostArchitect

I don't want to sound rude... but you are getting screwed! I would honestly expect no less then 55k for the amount you are doing. Your story sounds a lot like mine not so long ago. I was getting paid literally in peanuts...  I tolerated it for the experience and IDP. Sounds like you got that under your belt now and  you need to gain some self respect. You have everything you need now... you are done with IDP... consider that a major accomplishment. You have a lot more leverage than you may think. Awarding you in taking the exams in lieu of a raise is an insult IMO! Stand your ground and ask for more money. You are a major player in there... and if he respects you, he doesnt want to lose you. Sit down and talk to him/her on your plans on the future. If you enjoy working for him, then try to work out an agreement... tell him you are happy where you are but explain to him your finacially situation. Be civil about it, respect him, and just use some common logic in your conversation. Best of luck!

May 19, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Green34

YouYoure, does your employer provide health insurance?

Some companies pay for staff architect without insurance not exceed 38k

May 20, 12 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
YourYoureYore

no health insurance here.  

a registered architect with no benefits and less than 38k?  ouch.

May 20, 12 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

It's amazing you lasted this long. With your experience I doubt you'll have trouble moving on since you're qualified for the 3-5 and 5-10 year job listings. Good luck!

May 20, 12 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Green34

I've met registered architects who work for 40k, staff architect meaning interns with few years of experiance

May 20, 12 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

do you have any other options?  If you dont, I wouldnt go overboard asking for a raise, considering if its not done right, you could make a mess of a steady job.  Though you are getting screwed with the amount of work and responsibility you say you have, compared to the firms profits if your guesses are correct

do you have annual reviews?  is one coming up?  Cant hurt to bring it up.  If his best and only offer is to pay for your exams, take it and start your job search for your next firm.  if this guy is what you say he is, chances are you will all get screwed when he retires anyway.  Might as well start looking now

May 22, 12 8:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: