Archinect
anchor

from spire to asian-dubai-kitsch-screwdriver | Santiago C. in Chicago

contemax

Calatrava's twisting 2,000-foot-tall building was officially filed for final design. The initial design for the project was unveiled in May 2005. Refinements, to the new design include eliminating a broadcast antenna,
(I told you befor, that antennas are not cool anymore... http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=48957_0_42_0_C ) eliminating the proposal for hotel and retail space and giving a more organic feel which is more in keeping with the tradition of Chicago's skyscrapers. Calatrava has proposed building two bridges on the site. One across the Chicago River-designed so it can pivot to accommodate water traffic-will connect the Chicago Spire's plaza with the lakefront bicycle trail to the south. A second, on the north side will connect the site to DuSable Park. The design also includes enhancements for DuSable Park, including a pavilion and boat landing, to bring light, colour and activity to a now-forbidding section of road below Lake Shore Drive.

more pics here:
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/1000%20Calatrava%201.jpg

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/Calatrava%202.jpg

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/Calatrava%203.jpg

Dec 12, 06 12:56 pm
evilplatypus

thats terrible

Dec 12, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

See how nice Chicago architects do when they design towers? How come every developer now thinks they have to get some name whos hot today, and gives us garbage?

Dec 12, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Looks like a popsicle factory

Dec 12, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

better then any FOG tower proposals.

Dec 12, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

ribbed for her pleasure

Dec 12, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The SOM S. Dearborn looks much more progressive in using the slots to shed wind versus Calatravas curves to do the same. It also has a certain structural expressiveness that Calatravas doesnt, even though its a 200 story concrete sculpture.

Messege to starchitects everywhere: Please dont come and Dubai up our city.

Dec 12, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
contemax

..haha.. mdler, this dildostuff reminds me to the future system tower

Dec 12, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I normally like calatrava's stuff, but i can't say i like that tower.

Dec 12, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i heard mayor daley is calling the developer right now and demanding a spire

because even donald trump does what mayor daley says

Dec 12, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

>>calatrava strokes his glistening shaft<<

Jan 12, 07 12:12 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Before it was kind of elegant, although I never really liked it that much. Not it's just a grossly out of scale white twizzler.

Jan 12, 07 1:13 am  · 
 · 
myriam

evilp, what is that--who designed it, and is it getting built? i like it.

Jan 12, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

That is the coolest building that never got built. Its slenderness ratio was off the charts so they cut horizantal slits for relief of wind pressures. The diameter was like 90' at the base.

Adrian Smith, formerly of SOM, designed that - 7 S. Dearborn in the mid 1990's for the corner of Dearborn and Monroe. The scandalous rumor is that in order to get approval to tear down a 20 story Burnahm and Root on the site so they proposed that world's tallest structure.

However when the building came down they built a squat little pig of a building with a bad attempt at being cool at the top. Orig. developer went BK.

Bait and switch?

Jan 12, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Jan 12, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Everybody loves that design but I don't like it that much honestly (7 S. Dearborn). It's elegant sure, but it doesn't speak to me much.

Jan 12, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

BK?

Jan 12, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

chicago

Jan 13, 07 12:53 am  · 
 · 
myriam

what is "BK"? A firm? A person? A condition? AWOL? FUBAR? WTF?

Jan 13, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

im guessing it means bankrupt

Jan 13, 07 2:57 am  · 
 · 

it looks like calatrava has been looking in his tool chest. a bolt extractor

seems to be his inspiration...

Jan 13, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

BK- Bankrupt or British Knights if your into oldskool gym shoes

take your bk's with you

Jan 13, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha, I do remember the british knights... hahaha. I was wondering why "bk" sounded vaguely familiar... hahaha, thanks for the odd years-old reminder!

Jan 13, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: