Archinect
anchor

Its just some wood

mdler
oe

Well. Its certainly beautiful. But the fact that people spend 500 grand on stuff like this makes me question the future of the human race.

Dec 12, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

That table will sell for $5 million +

Dec 12, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

"this top is as freeform, organic as it gets..."

Dec 12, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if anyone is in NYC around Dec 15, you can go see the furniture

Dec 12, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Dec 12, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
binary

all i can say is that i hate art directors and how this work will be sold but will most of the money go to the family?......

sure, the prices are high cause the company selling the pieces are trying to make alot of money off this artist ... you think they really care about his work......

his pieces are nice and the woods are hard to work with also..... dense/etc......

i really hope most of the money from these sales stay in the family though..

:

Dec 12, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the prices for mid-century modern pieces are getting stupid...

Dec 12, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

re: it's just some wood

the parthenon is just some rock.

coffee is just some dirt through which we pour water, but imagine how many lives have been made or ruined because of it.

what should we value instead?

the money that might be spent on this work is - what - just a couple pounds of paper? or a piece of paper? or just some 1s and 0s in the ether?

Dec 12, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The Sotheby's art director does the pieces disservice.

Dec 12, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
binary

but the real thing is that we as designers/arch have that trained eye for the details.... so we dont need all the hype to see great work.... but for the lay-wo/man, there needs some hype to push product....... sort of like the pet rock in the 80's....haha

:

Dec 12, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

to say that a nakashima is overpriced is sort of odd...
the man is no longer alive and what you're basically paying
for is his legacy...it's a work of art. like saying a picasso, pollock,
etc is overpriced. the work resonates because of the time spent
on it and work that was put into it.

some day i'd like to have either a piece by him or a maloof rocking
chair...

Dec 12, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

hell if i was filthy rich I'd buy it. I mean yeah the price is absurd but that is a gorgeous table.

Dec 12, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'm in the camp that nakashima, was a genius. His portfolio of creative unconventional solutions to conventional everyday life are
amazing.

Dec 12, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

not saying over priced as in his work...but what is the gallery really making from his art...... i understand galleries make their cash...but to a point it gets stupid...... a few galleries i looked into in the detroit area all wanted 50-75%..wtf..........

:

Dec 12, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I belive that an auction house usually gets a 10-20% fee off of the sale. This is usually paid by the buyer AFTER the hammer falls, and isnt included in the bid of the auction.

Of course, I just made that up

Dec 12, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hammer time..........
hand on hips and side slide...ohh hooh hohoho ohhhoh

:

Dec 12, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Dec 12, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

i can't understand you when you yell.

Dec 12, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
oe

How insecure about your status do you have to be before you spend 5 million dollars on a table you'll never eat off? I just dont understand the point. I do appreciate the mastery of these things, I do. The guy was a genius, to be sure. If its a masterpiece and a model for thinking about living with materials then donate it to a museum. Something about obscenely wealthy, obscenely dilluted social dilettantes bragging to eachother about thier nice little shit at dinner parties makes me go rubbery. Donate to charity you fucking twat.

Dec 12, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

oe....the art world has always been the same...least I think it has....Note of interest, "Kahns" Art Museum at Yale has reopened.
Now talk about a ton of money being pushed at art.....I always enjoy his British Museum in New Haven.....The Man Had Some Big Ones....
I wonder if the benefactor knew before hand he was trusting all of his works of art to an architect who wanted the top of this building to be one big skylight.....

Dec 12, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

hah... bandwidth stealing weasel!

Dec 12, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I guess I don't see what the big deal is - there's one just like it on ebay right now for 50 bucks:

(Sorry, I'm just being an ass....I totally agree about the cultural value of iconic pieces and hope this one goes to someone who will share it with the world via museum gift/loan etc.)

Dec 13, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: