Archinect
anchor

new dizzier - mac-ofidio & vertigo in Boston

FrankLloydMike

oh, also, the reason that image looks like a rendering to me is because the water looks like the Carribean. I've never seen Boston Harbor any shade of blue.

Dec 12, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

FLM, I had the same thought about the water color!!! Ha, they totally bumped up the blue in Photoshop. The water is mostly greenish brownish in real life, as far as I've ever seen. Not that it isn't pretty, it's just not surrealistically beachy looking.

The office that reused the scraps is I believe the storefront for architecture. They made a house out of it...I think for an engineer who had worked on the Dig? There are a lot of pretty cool outfits working in Boston right now. I agree that whenever a big comission comes around though, Bostonians tend to freak and go conservative and pick some big name "proven" brand for their architecture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. Don't even get me started on the MFA addition... ugh.

It's kind of human nature to accept risk only in small doses (ie, small comissions) though, don't you think? And I don't think all of Boston needs to be overhauled, anyway. Just a few tweaks here and there... The Apple Store on Boylston will be a help, for example.

Right now the big fish in Boston seem mainly to be developer-controlled, for better or for worse. The MacAllen building is a step in the green direction, whatever its design virtues.

Dec 12, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
rt m.

does anyone know the author of this painting, picture poster or whatever you may call it? it´s in the main lobby of the ica. i love it.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=312349569&size=o

Dec 13, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
zoroaster

As far as the view in that computer room (in the ICA) is concerned, on some of the computers you can see an image of the water on the screen (maybe the default wallpaper or screensaver)... talk about playing with the irony of that. :)

this is the flickr image, btw, not the one at the top of the thread.

Dec 13, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: