Archinect
anchor

Architectural Fees for Development Projects/ NYC

Geo

So I am pursuing a project for a new ground up building here in NYC. My past work has been primarily in the high-end / residential loft/ interior genre. Past fees were typically in the 12-15% range of construction cost. Can anyone share experiences they have had in fee structure for a new development building? I have heard varying methods of structuring fees for developer projects. I'd like to here others experience. This project is specifically an infill lot in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, approx 5500 sf. Any of you w/ specific NYC perspective are especially appreciated.
Thanks!

Dec 7, 06 8:22 pm
Geo

Just to clarify the initial post, I am an architect, just looking for perspective from others who have dome work for develoers.

Thanks

Dec 8, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
tc79

Geo,
Many years ago, the AIA published a schedule of fees (percentage) based on building complexity and cost of construction. Generally, the more complex the higher the fee, but the greater the construction cost, the lower the percentage.
In the 70's, the courts ruled that the schedule was a form of price fixing and made using it illegal.
For instance though, an apartment buiding with a construction cost of $1,000,000 had a minimum recommended fee percentage of 7%. $2M was 6%, $5M was 5%.
And in general, consultants fees would come out of that percentage.

Dec 8, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Geo

tc79

many thanks...what I'm trying to reconcile is this; i have heard of fees (in NYC) being structured for development projects based on a per/sf basis, but it seems to be an insanely low per /sf basis.

For ex: for a 4000 sf new building = $4-5$/sf in TOTAL consulting (architect,struct.,MEP), so fees in this case are approx. 16k-20k. It just seems like a very foreign method of structuring fee. Curious if alternative fee methods work for others.

Btw, point taken on your comment regarding building complexity/fees. A development project admittedly has a general simplicity typically, but I really want to know if architects out there are still garnering decent fees (12-15% construction cost) for development projects. or if not, are they pursuing other compensation (share of profits from sales, etc. it's a dicey bed I'm about to get into and want to be clear about the reality.

Thanks again.

Dec 8, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
Geo

meta

thanks...your $/sf past experience provides some perspective. I've heard similar numbers from other architects here in the area.

Btw, to clarify the size of the project the lot is a typical 25'x100', FAR:2.43, max buildable sf=6,075sf. but we've discussed building 5,500sf-6,000sf

I find myself in the situation you experienced; do the work for a low fee, do it really well, build a reputation, do future work on a more agressive %commission. Also, I'm not looking to do purely develpment work. The chance to do some ground up work is REALLY appealing. And fortunately, the reason the developer is speaking to me is because of my past design work. He seems eager to carve a niche and create an identity (but not a Scarano identity). Which is great, and I understand the reality of develpment budgets, so I have no illusions about breaking the bank on this. We just don't want another "cherry kitchen, granite countertops, luxury bath" condo. I'm hoping to take a fresh look at the project, we'll see.

I'm just trying to balance this project with some other work that is more typical for me, intrior rno and such, generating a higher $/sf fee. I just want to be realistic and not go broke doing the project.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dec 9, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
tc79

Make sure that you have a firm understanding (read: contractual) with your developer concerning your deliverables. Your sf/$ fee could get diluted pretty quickly with additional client and consultant meetings, redesign, printing costs, construction admin., etc.
Get it all on paper up front, and document everything once you start.
Good luck, Geo. And congrats.

Dec 9, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: