Archinect
anchor

Rendering Crtique

derekmc825

Hey fellow architects, Im Derek, a third year architecture student at Cal Poly SLO and i just finished the first draft of my interior rendering. I would love to have any critique that would better the design. I modeling the space in sketchup, rendering through podium and applied post processing in photoshop. I was going for a more artistic morning feel, softer, lighter, and more airy. 

What do you think?

May 16, 12 1:47 am
Rusty!

It's airy in a sense of "there was a grease fire in the kitchen!". Entire space is filled with smoke. If it's a morning kitchen fire, why is every single light on? Are they in a basement? Rendering shows no windows. No real estate developer would ever publish this view of a space (away from windows and showing impossible to furnish living space). That sectional sure sits awkwardly in the livingroom. There just isn't much interesting architecture happening here to warrant anything but a quickie rendering.

May 16, 12 8:57 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

I think it's a pretty good rendering.  I would look at what you're trying to sell though.  It's certainly not an energy efficient feeling with all the lights on.  Technically, I would cut out most of the dark line between wood boards on your floor.  It looks to me like there's a gap between them.  This could happen in an environment with big swings between dry and humid seasons (my climate has that, and so does my wood floor), but it's not really a selling point.  There is a white line on the floor on the lower left, just to the right of 'DMC.'  Your shadows look a bit awkward to me too, especially under the bar stools.  It's like most lights don't cast shadows, but you have a lot of ambient occlusion or something?

Do people actually put lever hardware on residential doors?  I guess for older people, which it looks like maybe you're marketing too, that might be good.  The open bit between stair treads can create a tripping hazard.  That might be a concern for older people, drunk people, or maybe for kids.  In commercial construction I think that only be a 4" gap (I would look that up if it was me and real life), but I think you can do what you show if you want in residential.  Also, to me the stacked doors and metal handrail sort of make that side of the room look like a prison. 

books and a newpaper?  someone needs a kindle.

May 16, 12 9:26 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Grease fire comment = spot on

Lights on during the day comment = spot on

Sectional comment = somewhat mean spirited, but not entirely inaccurate

Not much interesting architecture = somewhat mean spirited, but not entirely inaccurate

Things I liked:

Senior citizens and dogs as featured scale figures

May 16, 12 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

There is something going on with the women's hair

The lattice pattern that is projected onto the stairs and couch would not be that sharp...I think it could use some blurring.  

Overall, the image looks very bright and maybe a little flat.  Perhaps try to tone down the light level and turn up the exposure.  You could also maybe put some paintings o the wall to add color...its up to you though.

I agree with the first post about the point of view...Think hard about what you want to say in this picture and adjust accordingly...it might already be right.

Don't take these comments the wrong way though, I think you could post this against your classmates and it would look better than 90% of the class.

May 16, 12 9:43 am  · 
 · 
derekmc825

Wow thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate the critique, both positive and negative. Although it hurts a little I completely agree. Im not that experienced with Renderings as this is only my 3rd year at school. And this is by far like 20x better than anyone else in my studio. Im still learning :)

You don't know how much I appreciate negative critique because that is the only way you can get better. All too often people stray away from the negative because they don't want to hurt. Ah i with I had more time to finish/change this! This project is due in a couple weeks and I have alot to do design and production wise so I'll probably postpone the edits til the summer. 

Rusty - haha a grease fire, good analogy. This is my first interior rendering for a residence unit i have ever done and I didn't know how to go about the lighting conditions. With your suggestions I'm going to change it. As far as architecture goes, that kinda hurts. But this view is only like 10% of the entire project so it hasn't been thought out as much as the rest and this is only 8 weeks of design for a 30,000sf housing/retirement complex. As far as windows, I agree! To the left of the image are large glazing areas and maybe i should adjust  the view so as too portray the views outside? Anyways, Much appreciated.

Curtkram - excellent comments! means alot

Won - hah i think my entourage is a bit out of scale though?

Thecyclist - your comments are extremely helpful!

keep them coming

May 16, 12 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Aside from other comments - typically arch photography (and rendering) is closer to 1 or 2-point perspective.  in the past arch photographers would use tilt/shift lenses, but now most fix the perspective in post.  You could either do this in photoshop, or zero out your camera angle in your rendering program and change the offset (some rendering programs call this camera shift or film offset - not sure what you're using).  right now it makes it seem like the side walls are falling over - clearly you just pointed the camera up toward the corner trying to get most of the room in your view finder instead of setting up and composing your scene.  if you're doing 3-point perspective or another other kind of distortion you should be more intentional about it.

look at some of this work - pay attention to which photos are 1, 2, and 3 point perspectives.

http://archinect.com/features/article/47288629/in-focus-brad-feinknopf

http://archinect.com/features/article/38879033/in-focus-sam-javanrouh

http://archinect.com/features/article/37361749/in-focus-franck-bohbot

May 16, 12 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
aphorismal

Some suggestions that are entirely subjective:

The "Aura of Jesus descending from the high heavens" effect on the lights is way to strong.  On all the lights (including the roof fixtures)

Sectional seems too big

Unless their current orientation is part of your design concept, the floor boards should run parallel to either the kitchen counter or the sectional.

Actually, now that I think about it, the sectional should also be parallel to the kitchen counter.

The three doors in the back of the first floor are all different sizes...why?

I don't know if this would be fixable in photoshop, but you might want to increase the lens length in the future - little too "fish-eye" for me.

Increase the exposure, tone down the brightness a wee bit

Finally, do you think its very realistic for midget senior citizens to own a dog that big?  I bet they ride it around town like a horse.

All that being said, I think this is great for a first interior render.  You clearly know how to properly deduce where/how to place shadows and reflections, which I think is the hardest part of rendering.  Now if you could just get some of those perspective/scaling issues worked out, this render would be pro.  Good luck.

May 16, 12 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

I love how you 'only' had 8 weeks to do this and still have 3 weeks left, and consider that a short amount of time. 

At work I just got asked to completely change the viewpoint of a major perspective and re-render everything for an A2 size image going to print in a competition tomorrow at 6.

ooohhhh to be a student.

May 16, 12 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
derekmc825

hah yeah...that makes sense. Wheww good luck. Where do you work? I have alot to do as well. Like my whole project in 13 days :/, elevations, sections, 4 more renderings, diagrams, plans....

May 16, 12 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

I would do an additional rendering from the 2nd floor cat walk looking down into the living room so that you have a connection to the natural light. It might also be a more interesting/unusual perspective.

May 16, 12 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

echo the comments, also, it seems a bit claustrophobic, all the components/actors seem to be on top of one another...

May 16, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I love how you 'only' had 8 weeks to do this and still have 3 weeks left, and consider that a short amount of time.

At work I just got asked to completely change the viewpoint of a major perspective and re-render everything for an A2 size image going to print in a competition tomorrow at 6.

ooohhhh to be a student.

yeah - although an entire day spent on one view is a luxury.  This is why those shitty sketchup renderings aren't going away any time soon.

May 17, 12 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

8 weeks....- i wish i had that much time for my renderings. I'll actually enjoy the taste of my coffee. I used to pump out 1 renderings a day in Revit. The Computer i used at work was slow and outdated, so Renderings would crash in the midway.

Now, we just use Renderers in China - comes out very cheap.

@derekmc825,

Maybe it's just me, but I think Wooden doors and floor stand out too much.  They appear to be the most saturated elements in this rendering, as if they are the emphasis of this view.  I agree that there are too many lightings in the scene and because of so, I find the scene little busy. Increasing the contrast to show more depth would help.  I would emphasize the incoming sunlight as the main light source and limit the artificial light in the scene.  I think it is ok to darken the backdrop like 2nd floor to give more visual emphasis to the Lofty living room.

As curtkram said, you'd want to be careful about what you are selling.  Also, I believe it would help if your rendering conveys a story.  Since it is a residence, wouldn't you want to portray happy family in your beatiful architectural gem?   it seems that people and a dog in your view are bored of each other.   

Did you folks every tried Twinmotion 2? The realtime rendering program?  You can direcly import Revit model and it renders real time.

http://www.twinmotion.com/

May 17, 12 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
derekmc825

modeled, rendered, and photoshopped in 2 days total....im still learning. This is my first interior render I've ever done. so i don't think its all that bad. But all of these suggestions are super helpful to better me as a graphic/visualization artist. 

Thank you all so much :)

May 17, 12 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

I like how it looks like the old man grabbed his newspaper to go upstairs to take a dump...the rest of the rendering made me squint. Not a bad first try though...keep improving, and have fun.

May 17, 12 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: