Archinect
anchor

Lasercutting classes? Los Angeles area

aab

Hello!

I would like to learn about lasercutting/digital printing etc. Does anyone knows a place/school where I can take classes in Los Angeles area?

Thank you for your help

May 16, 12 1:42 am
magentasky

check out Woodbury University's re:work summer workshops: http://architecture.woodbury.edu/events/rework-summer-workshops/

May 18, 12 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

There isn't much to learn on laser cutting per say. It literally just cuts what you draw on cad. Almost every architecture school has multiple laser cutters and you use your cad drawing scale on the laser bay which ranges from 18 x 36( my school configuration) and then plot.

In Los Angeles I guess UCLA, USC or Sci Arc (sci arc has the most facilities in digital fabrication ) .

May 18, 12 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

^That.

What you really need to learn is material properties and knowing the proper power, speed, DPI for each material and thickness so you don't run into problems like burning, not cutting all the way through, melting, etc.

I don't know of any UCLA laser cutting courses. UCLA's facility (I think the other schools as well) is only open to current students.

May 19, 12 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

^ right what Anxiety said... That is sorta the basic understanding you need . Materials power and all but over a period of time you know better usually most laser cutter have signs posted on how thick materials can be used. 

Traditionally 1/8 or less is the thickest material which can be cut without being burnt to much and still having all the aesthetic qualities.

Plexi is the only material which has the most trouble based on where you getting laser cut. Certain schools let certain schools don't cause of the fumes/ chemicals which it gives out after cutting 

May 21, 12 9:38 am  · 
 · 
griever

There's a local laser cutter in Echo Park you might want to check out if you have questions:

lasersoverlosangeles.com

May 23, 12 4:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: