Archinect
anchor

Salary Negotiation - Entry Level

august

I'm a recent graduate (actually I graduate this Sunday) but I have been offered a position at a very lucrative design firm that fits my personality and career goals almost perfectly.

I have been offered a salary that is above what I expected and what I would consider highly competitive. Should I counter offer even though their offer exceeded my expectations? Should I counter offer on principle? Am I a weak and worthless person for not going after more money?

What are your opinions on the amount of leverage an entry level employee has?

May 16, 12 12:58 am
Quentin

No comment on the salary, but congrats on the offer. Your luck to find one so early on.

May 16, 12 8:46 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

So you get offered a job that sounds perfect for you, for more money that you expected, and you want more?  I dont understand really where you are coming from with this question

Entry level positions dont seem to be the ones where you haggle over money, especially when they exceeded your expectations to begin with.  How much more are you going to ask for, and what is your basis of asking for the increase?

I'd say, unless your initial salary expectations were completely wrong and insanely too low, there is no reason to turn try to wiggle a couple extra thousand from them on the principle alone.  Save that for down the line when you can justify an increase in pay with your actual experience

Congrats on the offer though

May 16, 12 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Yes, you should counter offer or else they'll think you're a total pushover.  But be careful about proposing more money.  Maybe you ask for a token 20-40% but it would be wiser to look at other intangibles.  Make sure you get your own parking spot.  Inquire about a country club or golf club membership.  And settle for nothing less than business class on flights.

Yo!

May 16, 12 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

Maybe calculate a rough estimate of your yearly expenses and make sure what they offered will cover it...it sounds like you're in a damn good position though...congrats!

May 16, 12 9:49 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

From where I sit, I suppose the answer to your question depends heavily on the actual facts on the ground. Playing 'hard to get' in an economy like this can be dangerous -- perhaps they have another candidate they like almost as well already standing in the wings.

If you feel the firm made a genuine offer that reasonably reflects the true value of your contribution to the firm in the near term, then I would counsel restraint -- move forward and show them what you can do. The money will work out for you over time and you can negotiate a raise down the road from a true positon of strength.

However, if you think your expectations were unrealistically low (the shame of that's on you) and they still 'low balled' you relative to actual prevailing wages in your area, then by all means, make a counter. But have a rationale for doing so -- bring some substance to your argument besides 'I think I deserve more'.

May 16, 12 11:58 am  · 
 · 

In this strong economy, go balls to the wall....since there is such a shortage of qualified people, you can name your own price....my friend, its like permission to print money! Go all the way, 4 weeks vacation, signing bonus, company prius.

May 16, 12 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I want to kick you in the nuts

May 16, 12 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
august

The only reason I would think to counter offer is so that I don't get put into some sort of position down the line where I am underpaid and they think they can push me around.

May 16, 12 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

august - good call

I made that  mistake 2 year - sold myself short to a low ball and now sadly, I am just a "tool"

I go to interviews for other jobs, and they won't pay me more than what I have been making fort the last 2 years(fixed income) - 

May 16, 12 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah...you would hate to be underpaid...

May 16, 12 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

ok, you've gotten a lot of snark here, but I think that's due to us not being able to tell if you're wondering if you should counter a totally reasonable offer or whether you had such low expectations in the first place that anything seems great to you. And we can't know that without real numbers. I would highly suggest contacting a professor you trust or a friend who graduated a couple of years ago and discussing this in actual numeric terms. Also check out sites like www.glassdoor.com to try and get comparisons in your area. That's the only way to know if you and your potential employer are talking about things at the right scale or not.

May 16, 12 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
august

Well I have decided to accept. Without disclosing the amount the offer + benefits were too good to pass up. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me.

May 16, 12 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

as long as you meet and or exceed expectations - no problem - if you fall short - they will fire you - trust me 

May 16, 12 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Yes, counter offer!...You will be fired first, or will not get the job.

Already, you are showing your true colors, arse.....you are lucky to have a job offer!

I love to fire people, and when payroll is a problem, guess what young architect with Hubris...your arse is out the door!  The rest of your co-workers "jealous" of your young, charm, intelligence and good luck, will not care a wit!

May 28, 12 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
med.

You are entry level - just take the job and enjoy it!  Many graduates in previous years were simply unable to find jobs right out of school.

Congrats!  :D

May 29, 12 9:47 am  · 
 · 
zonker

when the typical opening has 200-300 applicants - you sure had better be able to prove you are in the top 1%

May 29, 12 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

For future reference I often hire people for a trial period of 3-6 months at a lower rate with the expectation that if all works out they get a raise at the end of the trial period.  I also offering to back date the raise over the 3-6 month time as a bit of a bonus.  That way the owner doesn't feel they are getting hosed and the employee can prove out their abilities and skills to justify their higher pay rate

I negotiated my first real job that way just out of school and it was fair for both sides.

May 29, 12 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

why don't you tell us what your offer is first?   then we can better advice you on what to counter offer or better yet kick you in the nuts/slap you on the boobs

May 30, 12 1:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: