Archinect
anchor

Thesis Question

mlee

Has anyone out there gone into grad school without a clue about your thesis? Is this a colossal waste of time/money? Should I take my time to make sure I know what I'm doing once I'm in grad school?

Dec 4, 06 5:42 pm
Workshop B

You have to look at the school you are going to apply to. Some programs pose a research question for you to explore (UCLA I know for sure). You are given a prompt or question at the beginning that you research and develop your project from. Alos, I think its okay to not have an idea, it may limit your ability to accept or explore new ideas posed by colleagues or professors. Most go to grad school for deeper reasons than developing a thesis (want to teach later, do more research, hate doing CAD full time for mediocre pay.)

Dec 4, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

grad app doesn't equal knowing what your thesis to be will be....
You gotta know what intrigues you and draws you into architecture. then you get a year or two to come up with a clever and original idea for your thesis (if you even have to do one). don't sweat it....

at upenn, a theis is an optional masochistic exercise that starts the summer before the final year- then you have to find an advisor and convince a committee that your idea has merit before you even start researching. It takes 7+ rounds of revisions/comments (and 1000s of words) before you get to design anything.

Dec 4, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: