Archinect
anchor

Concrete Buildings

Have there been any interesting buildings made pretty much entirely of concrete recently?  Where the concrete is expressed as the bulk of the aesthetic?

My thesis was an imagined fully-concrete building; was looking at my renderings and thinking how it would more than likely be pretty dank in there.  

May 1, 11 4:57 pm
Rusty!

In most climates it is unwise to leave structural concrete exposed to elements. You gotta wrap that bad boy! You can still achieve a full concrete aesthetic by using concrete cladding, but then it's not the same thing. 

That said, you'll find plenty of examples of concrete monoliths in recent Japanese projects.

Good luck with your thesis Donna :)

May 1, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

check out some of the work by Tenerife architect, Fernando Menis.

May 1, 11 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Studio Gang's Aqua Tower is more or less entirely concrete if we ignore the glazing. It was one of the features I remember about this particular building.

May 1, 11 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, my thesis project is 16 years old - despite what everyone says they want to do when they graduate, I never revisited it in any meaningful way.  Just looked at the drawings - charcoal on newsprint that has not held up well at all.

Is Holl's Seattle chapel mostly concrete?

May 1, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, and Zaha's CAC, duh.

May 1, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Your thesis is of driving age now. Yay!

I think I took your 'made entirely out of concrete' question a bit too seriously. You're thinking more in terms of 'that skyscraper is entirely made of glass'.

Zaha's COC is clad in concrete precast. James' example shows a standard balcony condition on steroids, and Holl's building is probably made of EIFS and bubblegum. 

Sanaa's Zollverein looks closer to an actual 'real' concrete.

May 1, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

holl's chapel is made of tilt-up concrete. beautiful method, not the cheapest. They then put a coat of stucco on the exterior side and filled in the pick-plug with a cast bronze half egg thing.

for my money, this zumthor bruder claus/klaus chapel is pretty spot on, but a very different way to use concrete.

there was a pretty good article in architect (i think) recently about monolithic construction - worth taking another look at if possible.

May 1, 11 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

Name this building - all concrete.

May 1, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

everson museum, syracuse.  not remotely recent.

(blows kiss to burningman)

May 1, 11 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

HdeM has some nice ones---the miami parking structure is the first i can think of...

May 1, 11 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Why hasn't Vitra House been brought up yet!? It's considered a monolithic [insulating] concrete structure and was pretty widely talked about, too.

May 1, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

It's the last pure concrete building I can think of...I guess you can't stick concrete in the CNC anymore

May 1, 11 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Oooh, elinor, the HdM parking structure is a great one!

May 1, 11 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

This could be very bad news James. It could mean the death of the construction industry all together.

May 1, 11 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Ando, bitches

May 2, 11 1:03 am  · 
 · 
tiago mota saraiva

Check out our project at Sacavém - Portugal. The shading surface is all in concrete.

May 2, 11 6:50 am  · 
 · 

Wow, beautiful stuff.  The truffle is just bizarre and cool, and the shading structure's shadows are beautiful.

May 2, 11 8:24 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

So let me make sure I understand - they filled the negative space of the truffle house with hay, poured the concrete around it, then had a baby cow eat all of the hay out from the inside? Is there rebar in that thing? Didn't see any, but there must be. Love it - cool project!

May 2, 11 9:02 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Teshima Art Museum

Rolex Center

Tama Art University Library (one of my favorite buildings)

May 2, 11 10:12 am  · 
 · 
arthurliu82

The Johnson Museum, Pei, Ithaca, NY

May 2, 11 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

The Salk Institute in La Jolla, CA by Kahn is one of my favorites. Not so recent, but worth a mention.

May 2, 11 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels - Los Angeles, CA.

May 2, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Oh  for crying out loud.  Can someone please fix my post/image?  I don't know why I'm not able to  post images or even edit my posts for that matter.

May 2, 11 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

****melt, what error are you getting, specifically, when trying to edit your comments or post an image? what os and browser are you using?

UPDATE: when looking at your comment, it looks like you're trying to post an image with this URL: Los-Angeles-Cathedral-of-our-Lady-of-the-Angels-01-600x408.jpg but it needs to be formatted like a full url, like this: http://www.website.com/Los-Angeles-Cathedral-of-our-Lady-of-the-Angels-01-600x408.jpg

May 2, 11 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

shiiit,,,,I haven't even tried to post a pic..yet cause I'm scarred....Paul....youes have writtein

instrutos...??????

May 2, 11 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks Paul -

I'm not getting any error message when I click on the edit button.  It just doesn't do anything.  Now let's see if I can post this image correctly.

May 2, 11 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Take Two

May 2, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Woo-hoo!!!!

May 2, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

this is really easy stuff: check out this little tutorial on how to post images, links, etc...

POST SOME BOLD TEST

italics

• line items
  • asgsdfg
  • sdfg

and here is how you post a link.

May 2, 11 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: