Archinect
anchor

pdf file size

yoiyoi

i would like to reduce the size of some large pdf files.
they contain images and text etc-
so i would like to just be able reduce the file without reformatting the pages- how do i simply do that ?
thx

Nov 30, 06 8:10 pm
dia

From what program are you making the PDF? In photoshop you have some command over PDF quality. The default printing setting for PDF's is set to 600dpi [via Cute PDF et al]. You can lower this in custom settings. It depends on how many images, how many pages... How big is big? What is the original DPI of the images, etc, etc.

Nov 30, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

i created the pdf in illustrator with images from photoshop. one page size is for eg 18mb so i basically would like to make a smaller file without going back into photoshop to reduce the image resolutions etc
thanks

Nov 30, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Are you saving as a PDF or prting it as a PDF?

Nov 30, 06 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I got Illustrator CS2, and you can choose a preset quality of PDF when you save, eg, Adobe PDF Medium, High Quality print, Smallest File Size. You can then experiment and alter the existing presets.

Nov 30, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

i am saving as a pdf and using illustrator 9 i'm not sure if it has those settings for saving do you?
thanks

Nov 30, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Should do. You get a dialog box when you save as a PDF.

Nov 30, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

ok thanks

Nov 30, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

i'm using illustrator 9 and would like to make smaller pdf file sizes using the settings that gives me the options for medium, high quality file etc . does anyone know if illustrator9 has that option. i can't seem to find it in either the save as or print dialog boxes. any help
thanks

Dec 5, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

if what you're trying doesn't work, maybe just export as a raster graphic in .tif format. I've got a habit of having huge AI files, with hi-res images, and simply export to raster graphic at whatever size i need to print/project at 300 DPI. then just open Pshop or acrobat and make that a pdf.

yeah it's a backwards process.

Dec 5, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

On the pdf settings there should be a checked box labled "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities". Uncheck the box, and your file size usually will go down to 1/4 what it used to be. This preserves the same visual quality, but destroys the layering, so it's the best thing to use if you're sending someone (like a printer or potential employer) a file to view, but not edit.

Dec 5, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

To follow up on rationalist's great suggestion, if you're in pshop, flatten the file, then save as PDF. It should be a lot smaller without all of the layer information.

Dec 5, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

thanks guys

Dec 5, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: