Archinect
anchor

Is "God is in the details" or "Devil is in the details"?

cmrhm

My colleague is writing a preface for a detail related book. He is thinking of using the phrase "Devil is in the details" to represent Mies' idea regarding the details. I disagree. The first reason is I seldom hear of people using it. The second is "devil" word would easily make  many Christians feeling uncomfortable. Being a christian, I know I hate to hear it.

Is my concern legitimate?

May 12, 12 9:17 pm
aphorismal

Well, the original phrase that Mies said was "God is in the details."  So if that's what he's after, then the problem solves itself.  On the other hand, why would the phrase be offensive?  Mies meant that what separates mediocre and excellent architecture is the level of craftsmanship and the care put into the detailing - even the smallest messed up detail can irreparably screw up the whole.

"The devil is in the details" means that the details of a solution are often more difficult to resolve than the the broad conceptual issues.  How is that offensive?  It's saying that the difficult (ie, hard, (ie bad (ie EVIL))) part of a project is in the details.  Unless you are offended by the assertion that the devil the kind of asshole that makes architects spend 12 hours on a single banister, I'm not sure I see what the problem is...

May 12, 12 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

Mies said God is in the details, so if he wishes to quote him, then use that form. If I were writing the book, I would use that as well. Although I am young and a student, I have been thinking about what my personal beliefs in architecture are, and I truly believe details are one of the most important aspects to focus on in a building.

May 12, 12 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you aphorismal and Thecyclist for your comments.  So in conclusion, I would go with "God is in the details".

""The devil is in the details" means that the details of a solution are often more difficult to resolve than the the broad conceptual issues. "  ----- It is hard for me to believe it. Each concept require its own details to carry on the idea.  In nowadays, I havent see anything can't be done.  just some could be done bette, some can't. Show me some examples if you can find. I am interested in seething them.

May 14, 12 1:55 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Oh no! There are little devils inside cmrhm's details eating away at the Jesus finishing nails. Lordy! Can we have a group prayer? 

May 14, 12 12:57 pm  · 
1  · 
aphorismal

Well, I wasn't arguing whether or not the quote was true - I was just explaining what it means.  In spite of my very appropriate name, I actually have no position on the aphorism in question.

May 14, 12 2:35 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: