Archinect
anchor

office FUMES

bricabrack

Does anyone have problems with the fumes from the constantly used laser cutter and spraymount? Is this a problem in most offices? Why do we put up with it?

Nov 27, 06 6:18 pm
robust84

also, fumes from solvents for acrylics as well as acrylic dust (from sanding or cutting) sure isn't good for us either.

laser cutters need custom, professional ventilation systems. spraymount needs to be done under a fume hood or outside.

if you're workiing with this stuff you should also for sure wear a respirator. remember, the respirators for gasses are different than the ones for particles.

if your office isn't providing you with a safe working environment, say something. worst case scenario, call OSHA. being a good little employee isn't worth gettingg cancer down the road or having children with deformities.

Nov 27, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Ya giving birth to kids who want to grow up to be interior decorators....or worse yet sanitarian engineers.....plumb crazy what those solvents can cause.

Nov 27, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

brika- do you like your bosses or not? if not then look up the osha regs and drop the fed a line...

Nov 27, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i wish i had a laser machine......

fumes from acrylic solvents isnt good..... i have lung issues when i use it in the basement......

nothing worse than spar urethane though..... that'll burn the nose hairs

2:37am

Nov 27, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

The good ol days of Pattex...

Ummmmm, Pattex

Nov 28, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
aeaa

a co-worker of mine dropped a stink bomb this morning.....does that count?

Nov 28, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"Why do we put up with it?"

because they give you money and the name looks good on the resume...

Nov 29, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"lung issues"

=piercing pain, coughing, and shortness of breath...

Nov 29, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 

i loved the smell of pattex growing up - but i could never make it work (no patience as a child)

Dec 4, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

For Pattex to work you have to spread it out over a large surface, then sit back and enjoy. Snnnnniiiiiffffff. YES!

It was a sad day when I discovered it dissolves north american foamcore/gatorboard.

Dec 4, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Fumes I don't like: coworkers' bad cologne, coworkers' microwaved tuna products. And then there's the coworkers themselves...

Dec 4, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Any thing's better than the old Ammonia machines. The first office I worked at still did hand drawings and we used the Diazo Blueprint machines... It smelled like ammonia everyday. By "it" I mean my shirts, jeans, skin, ect...

Dec 5, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
LFAl

We have a brand new fume hood... but it's in a teeny tiny unventilated room. So... anything that isn't caught goes straight into the lungs. Yum!

Dec 5, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

The fumes? I take it that Brika must be slaving away in a corner of the office somewhere....where all she/he does is model build??

I miss the smell of spray mount (although I don't think I want to smell it again)

Dec 5, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: