Archinect
anchor

Has anyone seen the Fountain?

oe

new darren aronofsky flick. Its fucking genius.

Nov 23, 06 7:22 pm
WonderK

So wait, you saw it already? It's getting mediocre reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I wanted to see it though.

Nov 23, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I noticed its bad response, Im sure its because its such a headfuck most people dont know what to make of it, but its absolutely astounding. Ive just never seen a movie that is so tightly wrapped around itself, its like every shot and element folds back in this crazy mobeus maze, just beautiful.

anyway I wont over hype. Its not perfect, but the fact it comes as close to its ambitious goals as it does is incredible.

Nov 23, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I really liked Pi, and I'm looking forward to seeing The Fountain.

Nov 24, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
opaquebond

well, i certainly didn't like it. it and it's poorly drawn characters with little to do on screen. and it's not folded back into itself It's over-edited to make up for a lower than expected budget and 2nd tier casting.

Nov 24, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Yeah, it was not so great. How many times is Huge Jackman going to vacillate between uncontrollable sobs and lamp-breaking anger? The production design almost made up for it.

Nov 24, 06 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

i've been following this movie since preproduction, and finally went to go see it. i thought it was a beautiful movie.

Nov 25, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

With responses so passionately for and against, how can I not see it!?!

Nov 26, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
postism

terrible...a waste of time. save your money and see something else. i like the director and the idea seemed interesting but the movie fell flat. it was empty and boring with underdeveloped characters and an unconvincing plot. celestial images and awful effects made the bad dialogue stand out even more.

Nov 26, 06 3:04 am  · 
 · 
oe

ha ha nm I guess. </rolleyeyes>

Nov 26, 06 3:52 am  · 
 · 
oe

This is just doomed to be one of those movies that people all dump as unwatchable when it comes out and then tops their best ten lists 15 years later..

Nov 26, 06 7:17 am  · 
 · 
oe

Just to beat a dead horse...

http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/drv?mid=1808422624&s=&st=10&tot=344&ys=kqUc6T7nuyzchuEOPkmrTw--

Ive never seen reviews so hilariously polarized.

Nov 27, 06 3:52 am  · 
 · 
mdler

where's the bridge?

Nov 27, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

AO Scott (NY Times) was the guest critic on Ebert & Roeper... two thumbs down...
http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/fountain

The sources I usually turn to for reviews say it's bad... Entertainment Weekly loves it...

Nov 27, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i like pretty things.
i liked this film.
it was suprisingly good for a hangover.

Nov 28, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you wanna see a truly great film. both narratively and visually. rent ridley scott's "the duellists"

Nov 28, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

look no further

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1728170

Nov 28, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Just saw it, the visuals were pretty good. If i can see it a few more times I bet i can figure it out. I've already got some hypotheses going about it. I think though I consider the movie good, but its definately for a contemplative audience.

Nov 29, 06 2:34 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

what do guys think about watching this movie high?....

Nov 29, 06 3:17 am  · 
 · 
sloring

I saw it the first two nights it came out and I really enjoyed it. I think that it's a film you need to sit and think about for a while to let the ideas that were put forth to come to fruition. There are many complex ideas that all come together to focus on one really simple one, live v death. Typical Arnofosky, it was beautifully shot, and I like how the characters weren't as important as the ideas that they represent. I think it's pretty genius the way he twists the typical plot development around, and it will be interesting to see what people think in 10 years about this film and how influential it will become.

Nov 29, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
raupp2112

The Fountain is one of the best movies I've seen in many years. It had a terrific story, aestheic and soundtrack. My wife and I both had different interpretations but neither of us felt frustrated or lost. Upon discussion, we both found value in each others take on the film.

Dec 3, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: