Archinect
anchor

Importance of the One Year Job Experience for Recent Graduates

kongrid

In the business world, it is important to have at least a full year of experience. I'm wondering if this unspoken rule applies to architecture. I can see how a full year shows you have the patience and perseverance to stick with a firm at least a full year. BUT:

In this economy, positions are less stable, therefore I would think less than a year of experience for a recently graduated designer is understandable. I graduated a year ago and have been with my company for about 9 months without contract. I could wait 3 more months, but I'm required to sign a contract very soon that will make me work there for an additional 12 months. I don't want to work at my current firm anymore after the first full year is over. I'd rather quit now. But I'm worried that cutting the full year short will disable me from getting another job.

Is it the end of the world? How important is your one-year experience?

May 11, 12 8:43 am
Rusty!

" I'm required to sign a contract very soon that will make me work there for an additional 12 months"

How does that even work? What country are you in? Concept of guaranteed contract intrigues me.

May 11, 12 9:36 am  · 
 · 
kongrid

I'm in Africa, in a very unique situation, but I want to know the general importance of the 'one-year experience' in architecture.

May 11, 12 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: