Archinect
anchor

" dynamic young designer to join our team."

zonker

[retracted] is looking for a dynamic young designer to join our team

Our small firm is a well-established and recognized leader in sustainable design. We have completed multiple LEED Platinum award winning residential projects as well as a LEED Gold award winning facility. Our recent and current projects include innovative zero-energy buildings, straw bale construction, small commercial and mixed-use projects, pre-fab townhouses and major residential remodels.

We are seeking a well rounded and proactive team player with the following qualifications:

• Engaged commitment to green design and the environment
• Excellent graphics and 3D rendering skills, preferably including Vectorworks drafting experience and Sketch Up
• Professional degree and 1-3 years work experience
• Knowledge of Type V construction and detailing
• Organizational skills and interest in project management
• Creativity, self-motivation, strong communication skills
• Comfort with active collaboration, role flexibility, and multi tasking

[retracted] is an energetic yet informal firm located in a sun-lit office in Berkeley. We are a small team, so you will be involved in all facets of the architectural process. Visit [retracted] to learn more. 

Is this right? or is age discrimination okay now?

May 10, 12 11:38 am
x-jla

I have seen so many ads like this.  One actually said (preferably under 30)...  I also came upon several job posings that requested a photo attached to the resume (so that we could attach a face to the application when interviewing)  as if a name is not enough.  Seems like they are looking for hotties.  I was going to send a resume with a pic of a crackhead just for fun....

May 10, 12 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

@ jla-x & zenakis

Yup Age discrimination is ok to do in this job market. Architects will also need to air-brush their photos to make them more sexy. They are looking for Banana Republic Ads type people for the jobs. Come'on guys, it is win win solution. The employers got eye candy and the employee got pay check.

May 10, 12 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

sorry for being too naive but why is age an issue for the employers, as long as they meet the qualifications?  If I am an employer, i'd be happy with more mature and possibliy more sophisticated candidates. Also, i tend to find older peple more responsible and patient.  However, my boss's getting grumpier as he gets older..

@Tee002 

I remember a job ad that once says 'Candidate has to be well-groomed' - gotta be Banana Republic ads type, right?

May 10, 12 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

stasis, it is probably so that they can abuse and underpay.  As for the pic....just send this pic and sue them for discrimination if you don't get the job.

May 10, 12 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

@jla-x

Hahahahaha Hope they can sleep tonight :P

May 10, 12 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

1) honestly this could be nothing more than an assumption on the writer's part that less experienced = young. 

2) It may be more likely though that they're specifically looking for characteristics most often found in young people: the fresh, excited, admittedly pie-in-the-sky impractical kinds of ideas that come out of young people fresh out of school, cutting edge digital skills, the willingness to work insane hours with low pay expectations. Yeah, they can might be able to get these things out of a desperate older candidate, but see pt #1: they may just be assuming, with no intent of malice, that a young person is where these things are most often found.

May 10, 12 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

My sister in law worked for a job placement agency many years ago. They would often use code words in their cover letter when sending applicant information to employers. "Broadly experienced" meant "old." "Front-office presence" meant "capable of carrying on a coherent conversation without an unintelligible accent and not hideously obese/ugly/etc."

May 10, 12 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Yeah - I was told " you have the technical skills -" but you are not a good cultural fit"

or "we need someone with more runway in front of them" 

May 10, 12 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

we need someone with more runway in front of them

wow.  There is alot of discrimination out there.  Personally, I have noticed that my women friends are finding work much much easier than some of my male friends, especially the good looking ones.  I have been told that "your work is great, but you need to get rid of the beard" on an interview.  He looked like the prep Troy from the Goonies "YOOOUUU GOOOOOONNNIIIEESS."  I replied by saying " It usually dosen't get in the way when I am working, and anyway where would I keep my pencils?"  The guy looked at me and kinda laughed but I could tell he was annoyed that I didn't bow down and say sure I will...Good thing I was wearing long sleves.  Probably gave the job to some ass kisser. 

May 10, 12 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Anyone that frames architecture as an anti-establishment culture is blind.  Overall the profession is filled with corporate conformists that look like Mitt Romney.  I can't wait to get a job and then after I am hired roll my sleeves up and reveal my heavily inked arms.  HEHEHE I gotcya.  I guess the reason why architecture seems so vain nowadays is that architects are vain.    

May 10, 12 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Architecture IS establishment, by definition. That's not ever going to change, even if you replace one establishment with another one.

May 10, 12 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

No Beards?

WWAPD?

I work exclusively with tattoo'd peeps, hairy folk, and Venetian nerd-glasses nose-ringed punk rockers.

But my life is total chaos.

Choices choices choices.

May 10, 12 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

The (in)famous one.  Young, dynamic, Front-office presence?

May 10, 12 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

...Sigh . . .

I shaved for this?

May 10, 12 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Oh shit.  Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.  Remember 2008 when Lehman hit the skids?  What will be the ripple effect from JPM?

Time to duck, yo!

May 10, 12 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

i remember when lehman shut down here in tokyo.  it affected us directly in personal way and in business.  this doesn't look the same at all.  might swing a bit more support to the Volcker rule though...

May 11, 12 9:19 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Oh shit.  Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.  Remember 2008 when Lehman hit the skids?  What will be the ripple effect from JPM?

FAIL!

Dow up 35 points as of 10:46AM EST.

Perhaps the wrong thread for this, and I apologize, but the day of Lehman's collapse I got word of it as I was sitting in first class boarding a flight from Las Vegas to Detroit and thinking this is the end of an era. Not sure it ended up being quite that dramatic, but at the same time, I don't fly first class anymore.

May 11, 12 10:54 am  · 
 · 
med.

LOL - Vectorworks......

May 11, 12 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: