Archinect
anchor

Transitional Housing Precedents

jpalmer

I am looking for some help in locating examples of transitional housing/multi-family low-income/homeless shelter projects that deal well with integrating with an urban fabric, have been 'designed' (above and beyond the local shelter here in town that has vinyl siding) and are highly focused on reintegrating people into society.

For a little background the city (Des Moines, Iowa) is currently looking at moving an existing homeless shelter to another area of town. The primary reason is that developers are drooling over the area where the shelter currently resides, not to mention the city has planned extensive development in the area. Now I am not advocating the shelter to a nomadic and despondent existence, constantly moving at the whim of people with money. To end that cycle a better solution must be found. The solution should be holistic (ideally) or at least be predicated on the betterment of the local neighborhoods and the individuals that will use the emergency shelter. It should also have the ability to withstand the prejudices of people supposedly care but don't want it "in their backyard". (There is currently a group threatening to sue the city if the shelter moves to the proposed location.) Finding a solid solution will then hopefully be satisfying to people in the area and give the people using the facility an added sense of self-worth and determination to move beyond their immediate circumstances. --Also i realize that such a facility may need councilors, work training, security and other related facilities, but any examples need not be that specific.

I have found some information, including the Plaza Apartments by Leddy Maytum Stacy and some articles by Sam Davis. While I appreciate Sam Davis's sentiments and insight, I personally would be interested in finding some examples to show the city closer to the Plaza Apartments.

Any help is appreciated.

Nov 17, 06 12:30 pm

google traugott terrace in seattle...

a few other links...

Affordable Housing Design Advisor

Pyatok Architects

Nov 17, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'm writing a 3 part series on this for WorldChanging. Here is part one

My thesis project at the Bartlett was to develop sustainable self built transitional shelters in NYC - there are a couple of resources there - including the Common Ground initiative. Not a plug but we covered it in our book Design Like You Give A Damn. Also Bryan Finoki has done a ton of work on this subject and I think Susan Surface worked with CG for a little bit.

Cheers
Cameron/AFH

Nov 17, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

michael malzan just completed a housing complex for the homeless in the skid row area of downtown los angeles that looks pretty interesting.

Nov 17, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
emaze
rob quigley

has great examples in urban areas.

Nov 17, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

thanks

Nov 20, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
jpalmer

cameron, i saw your tedtalk by the way. very inspiring.

Nov 20, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

yeah, way way too much caffeine before that talk.

Nov 20, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

these guys seem to do quite a bit of transitional housing.

8NW8

Hotel Alder

Estate Hotel

Union Gospel Mission

Nov 20, 06 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
surface

There was a design competition

http://www.firststephousing.org/

Nov 21, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: