Archinect
anchor

Design sequence

Pete

I would like to know what the most common used design sequence is in terms of software. Do architects for example start off with cad (2d), then importing the drawings in 3ds max /Maya and finishing off in Photoshop? Or do they start off in Sketch Up, followed by cad, then 3ds max and the obvious Photoshop? There are probably many different ways, sequences and softwares depending on the project and individual capability. Still, I would like to know the use of softwares and when they are put in during the design phase.

Jul 28, 04 6:59 pm
Tectonic

How many ways can you skin a cat?

Jul 28, 04 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

personally, i use a pen and paper for 2d and some 3d; SketchUp for most 3d, then into cad or use the mayline. then import to 3ds max and model. or scan into illustrator or indesign. i use photoshop for image manipulation (if at all). indesign is king for page layouts.

Jul 28, 04 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Sketch > FormZ > Print > Sketch > FormZ > Print > Sketch > FormZ > Print > Model > Sketch > FormZ > Max > Illustrator > PS > Illustrator > Print

Jul 28, 04 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Idea > Sketch > CAD+3DsMAX/VIZ > Print > Sketch over > CAD+3DsMAX/VIZ...and so on forever !!

Jul 28, 04 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
JG

It should be stated that you are talking about a particular way of designing which I consider creating representations of architecture when it's done well or pictures of buildings when it's done poorly. Design sequences could also include going straight to building something that is at once a representation, model, and the idea itself. The gothic builders for example used the templates they carried with them as the generative device for the building, drawings or representations were hardly ever done. There are homeless dwellings in the Bronx that were never designed through repsentation but are ammaligations of objects propped up much like a childs fort built out of couch cushions. My point is that design methodology can be much more then moving representations from paper to software to prototyping and you should keep this in mind when your writing your paper (which I assume your doing).

Jul 28, 04 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

problem, thinking, beers, party, girls, thinking again, pen and paper, beers, girls, sketchs and/or 3d modelling (depending on the task or project) the again thinking, and more thinking, and more girls (by then im tired of drinking), and then more sketching (on paper, on computer or in a fisical model, all depends on the mood), then party, then another idea, and then 2d,3d and presentation mostly at the same time, and at the end, explaining to client

Jul 28, 04 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

and after explaining to the client and getting him amazed, more girls and a couple of drinks....oohhh i love my proffesion, they pay me for my ideas and drawings :-)

Jul 28, 04 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
formanaught

sketch > model > 3d model > model > sketch > model > 3d model > CAD/illustrator/photoshop.

Jul 29, 04 10:28 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

physical model>physical model>physical model>sketch>physical model>sketch>cad>print>physical model>sketch>cad>viz>print>physical model for client>get paid

Jul 29, 04 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: