Archinect
anchor

sketchup

joe

I'm just starting to mess around with this program to "quickly" model a house from 2d drawings, and I cant for the life of me figure out how to rotate something in 3d. I can only do it in 2d. help??

Nov 14, 06 7:58 pm
joe

and are you supposed to redraw everything? I am having some issues with extruding I think. I didnt know if re-drawing was the proper way.

the extrusions are blue and white, but I dont know what is making them different.

Nov 14, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
9SquareGrid

uh....if u can't figure out sketchup, you should just give up this whole newfangled "computer fad" now.

Nov 14, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks a lot asshole.

Nov 14, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Joe, maybe I don't understand what you are looking for – are you looking for the "orbit" tool which is located next to the "pan" button (hand icon) on the toolbar possibly????

Nov 14, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
joe

no, I figured out the rotate... basically wanted to flip the section up so I could reference it when going vertical. just trying to figure out my stairs and the spacing. I'm having a tricky time getting them spaced right. I know you can extrude one object move it and then repeat it, in essence doing an array, but that wont work here, cause the stairs curve, and are not normal.

when I look at the model in elevation and try and move my stairs individually the stairs move all around, is there a way to constrain the movement in one direction, while still snapping to a point that is several feel behind that in 3d space?

and while we're at it, when I imported the drawing in, it wasnt to scale. is there a relatively simple way to get the drawing to scale so I can type in the correct distances?

it seems as if I need to tackle a few tutorials

Nov 14, 06 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Regardling the scaling issue – is the imported object in .dwg or .dxf format? If so,

1. Open the "File" menu, and then click "Import."
2. In the Open dialog box, select the file type.
3. Click "Options."
4. In the "Units" box, select the appropriate scale to use.

Not sure if this will work but give it a shot.

You might also want to check out the advanced techniques page or the video tutorials page.

Hope this helps.

Nov 15, 06 12:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

katze can you fix my computer?

Nov 15, 06 7:15 am  · 
 · 

turn it off and turn it on again, vado.

Nov 15, 06 7:27 am  · 
 · 
joe

haha, yeah yeah....

well I looked at some stuff last night and started to get the hang of it. although the program is super easy I just had/have no familiarity with it, so its starting to come around now.

Nov 15, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

just got an email that the v-ray beta plugin for sketchup is available for download now.

Nov 18, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

holy cow.. vray for sketchup??? i am going to try

Nov 18, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
joe

yeah I am too. the results are not so bad from just having tried it for 20 min...

Nov 18, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
joe

any idea how to do lights? the material editor is kinda tricky too.
hopefully they will put up some instructions/tutorials on their site like the Vray for rhino

Nov 18, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: