Archinect
anchor

Graphics Cards?

Dazed and Confused

Hopefully someone can help me out in here.
Most the reviews I come across are for gamers . . .
I own two computers - one is a cheap as crap Dell with an integrated Intel Chip (Extreme Graphics II)
the other one has the same CPU - but has a middle of the road 256m x 128 bit card (NVIDIA)
For some things such as rendering shadows in sketchup I am surprised to say that the Intel chip seems faster than the graphics card. Not as smooth maybe, but fast as hell. A good graphics card can run $500 - - - that Dell I got cost $400 for everything!

Anyone in here know what is the best bang for the buck these days for CAD / Sketchup / FormZ - etc. applications as far as video cards or integrated chipsets / motherboards go?

I'm having a hard time finding a clue.

thanks and have a good one!

Nov 14, 06 1:16 am
not_here

see it's weird, cause even 3D apps don't require crazy framerates to work right, so a video card isn't that essential as when compared to a fast hard drive and a good processor for actual rendering work.

still if you were looking for something gamer-friendly (and subsequently, 3D modeling hook-up-friendly), i'd read around http://maximumpc.com/

Nov 14, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 
grauster

i would strongly argue that it is extremely necessary to have a separate card, even if its only a middle-of-the-road gaming card. Frame rates aside, there is more computation regarding what is displayed on your screen than in games, and you need a separate GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) to do so. You'll greatly increase your workflow and won't pull your hair out in frustration with modeling/rendering.

Don't be confusing with viewport smoothness and render time, however. Every program uses different algorithms for rendering, but rendering involves your CPU, not your graphics card or GPU. That's where its pays to have a faster computer.

As for cards, I would strongly recommend nVidia over ATI, I think the cards hand CAD programs better and nVidia does a better job with driver development. GeForce cards are for gamers, Quadro cards are from professional CAD/CAM workstations.

Find out whether your computers have an AGP or PCI-e garphics slot on the motherboard and, in all honesty, look on E-bay. Many people are swapping working parts that are one year old for ridiculous prices, you should be able to find a quadro for less than $200, for sure.

And remember to make sure you use the current driver and that your software packages are set to use your graphics card(OpenGL mode). Many programs by default are set to a "software emulation" setting and need to be changed by the user. Otherwise you spent money a card that the program isn't told to use.

Hope this helps...

Nov 14, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

that helps a lot grauster

- thank you!

Nov 14, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

the reason why your graphics card doesn't make render times faster is you either have no level 2 cache or a crappy front side bus, so you can't use the graphics card.

Nov 14, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

what are the fine points of changing a graphics card on your computer?
i will get one that is competable with my computer. it is an old dell computer dim 4550. i am worried because this is how my last computer problem started and led to complete crash of my desktop 5-6 years ago.
thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

get a 6800 512mb PCI-e OC if you can find one and softmod it to a Quadro 4000 for accelerated open GL

http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=30028

Oct 11, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

thanks.
i looked all the instructions on the web for installations. sounds like erase the old driver, open the computer, yank out the old card put the new one in and viola.

Oct 11, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

what grauster said.

Dont' confuse rendering time with viewport acceleration.

Imho, a good card is essential for productivity - you need to see what you are doing. The better the card, the faster you'll be able to work (prior to rendering). Pro cards, like Quadro's and FireGL's, are optimized for 3D (as opposed to a GeForce which is a gaming card).

That said, your money should go towards the fast processor and tons of ram, prior to a graphics card.

Fast hard drives are great for video, where you are accessing gobs of data all the time, but not nearly as essential for 3D. 7200rpm is fine.

I would suggest just buying a new computer, but I don't know your budget. Rarely is it worth it (imho) to upgrade a cheap computer.
Save, buy something solid and it'll last you and save a billion headaches. Think productivity - the faster you can do something the more you can do.

Oct 11, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
grid

you can get a good computer for a reasonable price if you build it yourself.

Oct 12, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
jameser

so can i just ask... its important to have a good graphics card such as the Quadro FX ra ra ra, but more important to have more cpu speed and more RAM for programmes like PS 3d max and cad etc? in simple simple engrish, what does the graphics card then do

Jan 9, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

it really depends on what program(s) you use and how you use them.

first, any modern graphics card will have acceptable 2D performance. (photoshop, drawing plans and elevs in CAD)

Basically, in 3D, the graphics card effects how fast you can zoom and rotate around your model, and how it looks (jaggy edges or anti-aliased) on your screen while doing that.

Since 3dmax has such a good Direct3D driver, a quadro probably isn't necessary. (quadros and fireGLs have an advantage in openGL only) But that's an ongoing debate and sometimes changes with each new release of max.

Jan 10, 08 8:31 am  · 
 · 

i just found this via fast company online

The cost of a gigabyte of computer memory, over time.

* 1956 | $10 million
* 1980 | $233,000
* 1990 | $7,700
* 2000 | $13.30
* 2006 | $1

Jan 10, 08 8:37 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

You might find these links useful:

cnet-graphic cards

pc mag-graphic cards

Jan 10, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 
manamana

again, focusing on performance in terms of gaming is going to lead you down the wrong path.

Jan 10, 08 10:52 am  · 
 · 
nariman

I did some research into GeForce vs. Quadro cards.

http://lightbox84.blogspot.com/2008/06/graphics-cards.html

Jun 18, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: