Archinect
anchor

So I open Rhino, and...

Zoë Coombes

I'm just picking up Rhino and want to understand the best system for modeling basic geometry. How should I go about modeling a basic building with four walls and a window? Should I model the walls, floor and ceiling and place them together? Or create a solid building and then boolean the void of the room? Are Booleans best for puncturing holes into the geometry? (I don't need a step by step guide here, just general direction on the basic principles of Rhino.) thanks.

Jul 28, 04 12:24 pm
Dan

four walls and a window!? Blobs are the new walls this season.

Jul 28, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
French

Boolean operation are the most complex tasks for a modelling program to perform. Make sure you avoid those as much as possible. Rhino is not as bad as max or autocad for those, but you always get some data lost in the process. Try to model your object from splines as starts (especially if you get into complex geometry).

well at least that's the way I do it

Jul 28, 04 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

I've been using Rhino for a few years and I find the best way is to either extrude from a 2D drawing (Rhino imports autocad really well,tha'ts one of its strenghts) or build in pieces. like French said avoid Booleans if you can. I would build 4 walls, and boolean out the window. Rhino is REALLY easy to learn if you know CAD. one easy tip is you can click onthe button that looks like a yellow gear and change the command aliases so they match whatever you use in CAD. means your brain doesnt have to change gears....

Jul 28, 04 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ive been using Maya very intensely in the past few years, but am finding rhino a bit strange to learn..maybe ive to unlearn some maya techniques and get to rhino per se.
Any good books or online tutorials out there for using rhino in an architectural way???thanks

Jul 28, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

zoefutur if u know autocad well...u should have no problems w/rhino.... a tip: learn autocad first ;-)

Jul 28, 04 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

since autodesk actually now owns max, how can it be that rhino is closer to AutoCad. I know nothing about rhino, i'm just curious.

Jul 28, 04 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Rhino got it's start as a 3D plug-in for Autocad and eventually struck out on their own. I just got an email from the Rhino people saying they will be showing off new features for v4 at SIGGRAPH in L.A.

Jul 28, 04 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

Wicked. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Jul 29, 04 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: