Archinect
anchor

cool things to do and see in san diego?????

history

thanks for any insight!!!!
H

Nov 4, 06 1:44 pm
Marlin

In La Jolla (northern San Diego)...
Williams and Tsien's Neurosciences institute, sorta across the street from Louis Kahn's Salk Institute.
Walk around UCSD campus. It has best public funded sculpture spread out all over campus (includes poetry-whispering torrey pines and thinking men minatures staring at televisions) You'll not only see the greatest hodgepodge of architectural style in campus design-including the previously sinking learning tree library (be sure to go inside!) and Antoine Predock's Dance Center. Then put on your old school cap for Irving Gill's La Jolla Woman's Club. Head to the nearby beach and check out the [b]Sea Otter Preserve

Have some drinks in Pismo Beach with Marines and Fratboy surfers.
Have More drinks in Ocean Beach with Hippies and more surfers.
Have even more drinks in downtown's new Gaslamp District and pay a visit to Antoine Predock's new Petco Park Padre's stadium

when you're through drinking, Visit Balboa Park. It has great outdoor spaces and a cool Arboretum. See if they're sreening outdoor movies in the evening.

while on the beach, peep the views of the naval warcraft stationed out near Coronado Island. I think there's a naval museum in a retired Aircraft Carrier. As a superstructure, it's worth checking out.

Get down to the TJ border just to check out the way pedestrian traffic is controlled by the border crossing station. If you're old enough to legally drink in the states, there's no reason to cross the border. Keep your eyes peeled: Surrounded by an Air Force Base, the largest Marine Base in the US, and a Naval base, SD is an interesting case study in a major city butting up against the military industrial complex. Eat carne asada burritos at as many taco shacks as you can, and note the chinook helicopters, blackhawks and f-18s that often pass over the city. Try not to get lost.

Nov 4, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(^ my momma ain't proud of all those typos.)

Nov 4, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

watch the passenger jets doing their final approach over downtown area. too close for comfort imho.

Nov 4, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i second the flight path is way too close to downtown - and a trip to la jolla.

you might try to find a few projects by jonathon segal in the little italy district.

other than that, i'd head to TJ for a donkey show (kidding... kinda), oggle the fake tittays, and enjoy the traffic. there are more lift kits on trucks in s.d.and north county than anywhere in the south. i am surprised there aren't more mva's from those p.o.s.'s.

on second thought, why in the world would you go to S.D.? (I have an excuse, my fiance's family lives there) if you have a few days, i'd suggest going to l.a., where there is some semblance of kultur.

Nov 4, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

schindler's pueblo ribera apartment complex

Nov 5, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

^ (...indeed. Go seet them! I wanted to recommend this, but recently decided to stop recommending private residences as travel destinations. Thoughts?)

Nov 5, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
AP

on recommending private residence as travel destination:
in Utrecht, NL, there is an 'Architektur Centrum' where, among other things, you can find a free list of noteworthy pieces of local architecture (including address and firm responsible for project). There are a few private residences on this list, including MVRDV's Villa KBWW (a vertically split duplex). We (there were 3 of us) stood outside at a comfortable distance for a20-30 minutes...sketching mostly, snapped a few pics...my buddy got a bit too close (to take a look at a door handle or something) and one of the residents came out and gave him a piece of his mind...

Nov 5, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

AP

\m/

Nov 5, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

ok dammson...you crack'n me up!

\m/

Nov 5, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Not sure what the etiquette is for archi-stalking private residences is... I've had pretty good luck around LA with owners/neighbors stating interest in the original architect (instead of a 'fuck off stranger').

Nov 5, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

katze

\m/...thanks...i try

Nov 5, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I'd try to take a tour of Taylor guitar's factory

http://www.taylorguitars.com/contact/

Nov 5, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Hike around at Torrey Pines State Park (just north of the bluff where the Salk & neurosciences institute are located). If you're there might want to stop in to the Lodge at Torrey Pines for a beer on the terrace overlooking the pool/golf course/ocean - neo-craftsman but done fairly well and it's just a nice relaxing place to be.
Hmmm, am I out of cool things already?
I second the UCSD campus - the aquarium is also very close to the campus. My favorite place in all of San Diego is actually the tennis court on the top of the hill before it winds down to the beach at La Jolla Shores (which is a nice family beach, waves not too big, lots of sand) - amazing view and serene groves of eucalyptus - sorry i don't know the street name but it's off of Torrey Pines road and just west of the campus before you go down the hill...
The view from the Coronado bridge is amazing and there's no toll - Coronado isn't fantastic but you could take the strand down into Imperial beach and across to the TJ border crossing - there's an outlet mall right on the border with a Nieman Marcus outlet...
The contemporary art museum in La Jolla (the Gill/Venturi remodel)sometimes has interesting shows.
For food try Saffrom Thai, Shakespeare Pub & Gelato Vero cafe, all on India Street near little Italy (Washinton Street exit off the 5 south, sassafrass exit going north on the east side of the freeway).
The Mission could actually be an interesting place to visit - I haven't been there since we used to go play capture the flag in the park with camp, but the park must be nice and it should have a great view of the bay & airport (strange, but it is a nice view).

Nov 6, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

oops, Saffron Thai

Nov 6, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

the Zoo is also supposed to be great (once again, haven't been in years), and it's in Balboa Park which can be really fun but very crowded on week-ends

Nov 6, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

If you go to the Salk, go down towards the ocean to Torry Pines hang glider port

Nov 6, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: