Archinect
anchor

P. Starck Taschen Store in NYC

emilyrides

Last night, through a friend of a friend, I had a chance to get a sneak preview tour of the almost finished Taschen bookstore here in SoHo, NYC. Although much of the interior was still having some finishing work being completed, the space was really impressive. For a NYC retail space it has a very cavernous,airy feel, which is something most stores here lack, because square footage is so expensive every inch needs to generate income. I enjoyed watching the carpenters work so far of the ground on scaffolding inside the store. As a very new architecture student, I feel like this is a unique opportunity to see a very well known architect's project in it's infancy and developmental stages. I made quite a few sketches but I wonder what other things I should be on the lookout for, from a new student's perspective. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 3, 06 9:59 pm
strlt_typ

mechanical systems while its open

Nov 4, 06 4:38 am  · 
 · 
SuperWonder

That's cool, but what well-known architect?

Nov 4, 06 4:43 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Philippe Starck? Or are you being sarcastic?

Mechanical systems, structural systems if it's anything outside of the norm, finish details (which may be hard to look for if you are very new to architecture). Finish details are what I'd be interested in the most, but it took me a few years post-school to understand enough to get hooked.

How do visible parts fit into each other, connect into invisible parts, move or function, etcetera...

Nov 4, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
mdler

this is what I'd be lookin' at...

but that's just me...

Nov 5, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
mdler

this is what I'd be lookin' at...

but that's just me...

Nov 5, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Katze

...and it makes a great conversation peice for the coffee table.

Nov 5, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

can you guess the PRICE of that book without going over????

Nov 5, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 

vado, one of your best moments. on-topic (well, hijacked topic), youtube, and reference to bob's retirement announcement, all in one post.

Nov 5, 06 7:53 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Nov 5, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

TANGENT ALERT

Nov 5, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: