Archinect
anchor

Soapstone Countertop

cf

Is soapstone an acceptable material for a restroom countertop?

Oct 31, 06 2:04 pm
dml955i

I've used Mariana Soapstone on a handfull of residential bathroom vanity tops and kitchen counters... Like any stone, it requires periodic re-sealing (say, once or twice a year).

If you're planning on using it in a commerical application (i.e. getting the crap beaten out of it), it may not be the most suitable material.

Oct 31, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
cf

How does this material get the crap beat out of it?
I am assuming soapstone is slightly softer than marble or granite. Is there a reason someone would spec soapstone as a countertop rather than marble or granite?
As soapstone ages and wears, does it loose it's dignity?

Oct 31, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Soapstone weathers similar to slate on a counter (scratches & stains) If you like the "patina" you can avoid the maintenance (although patin in a bathroom sounds nasty.)
We use soapstone in firelaces instead of firebrick.

Oct 31, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

"Is there a reason someone would spec soapstone as a countertop rather than marble or granite?" Looks.

Oct 31, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You are most likely using a Soap Stone from Brazil is my first thought even if the guy is located in Vermont. They import from all over the world. The cool thing about Soap Stone, is that high maintence people are talking about is a bottle of mineral oil and a rag....just wipe it on let it sit and rub it down after a little time. If you don't like the sheen, take any degreaser and it will zap the finish away to a dull finish with the varigation in the stone being a little less noticable. As far as wear....it was used in most Chemisty Lab Tables up until recently and it does stand the test of time. One can use marble or granite but it is a different look for certain. Then there is Slate, which is a great look if it is a honed finish. I just had an installation of a hearth and mantle made from slate. It is one fine looking stone!

Oct 31, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: