Archinect
anchor

Architects - Any success stories?

paintitblack

As an aspiring architect, I have to say that while extremely helpful and eye-opening this forum is, it is also very depressing and defeating. I have my heart set on going to grad school for arch, but everything I read seems to tell me I should run in the other direction. My problem is, to where? I'm not interested in anything else. This is the only thing that gets me excited. Unfortunately, in our society we are forced to live to work, not the other way around, and if in going to be spending 70% of my life working, it better be with something that I'm passionate about. That's why, despite all the negative forecasts, I am still seeking a silver lining to this profession. Is there ANYone out there with a success story? Someone who makes decent money, works decent hours doing what they love with architecture? If so, could you please share a little about what you do? I'm not necessarily interested in working for a big firm or hobnobbing with starchitects, but I would like to scratch out a decent living and not live paycheck to paycheck. Any happy architects out there?

May 1, 12 1:44 pm
sgnt13

the first step is not spending too much time on this forum - you're getting a very distorted view of the profession.  unless you have something other than a b.arch (or are really interested in advanced research), don't go to grad school.  its a waste of time better spent learning how a building/project is funded, planned, designed, built, etc. - which is what architects are expected to know how to do.  i am five years out, recently licensed, and working for a small firm (the same since school).  is every day more amazing and rewarding than the last? no way, in fact some days downright suck - but that's life.  i make good money for someone my age - enough to put away some towards savings at the end of the month, have insurance and retirement benefits covered by the company, as well as professional dues and exam fees.  i get to the office by 9, leave at 5:30 and have generally stress-free days.  have i worked until 9 or 10 on a friday, during weekends, and come in at dawn? you bet - if that's what it takes to get a project out the door - but its by no means a regular occurrence.  i guess what i'm trying to say is don't give up, there is a silent majority who are plenty happy with their choices.

May 1, 12 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Hear, hear.

It's helpful (sometimes) to read opinions and views here on Archinect, but keep in mind this is a tiny slice of what's out there, in terms of experience and relative satisfaction.

May 1, 12 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Things are going pretty well here. Both in terms of work and in terms of compensation. It was kinda crappy a year ago, and it was total horseshit 2 years ago.

Architects that I know in real world are scraping by. Biggest issue is money, or lackthereof. Since most architectural offices are in large (expensive) cities, paying more than half of your net income on housing and utilities is not uncommon. Add on top of that student loans and you are streched to the limit.

By the time you finish school, things may be doing much better, but it's important to note recessions are cyclical, and the same shit will happen again and again. I was warned myself about the last major recession, (late 80's early 90's), how it forced a number of people out of the profession, etc... even if you go down this road, there is a good chance you may not finish your career as an architect.

May 1, 12 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

see below...

May 1, 12 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

After working a few months at a small firm for terrible pay I made a switch and got out of architecture. I used my experience in architecture to become a construction coordinator for defence construction. I know it's the sort of thing that's frowned upon here, but I choose to work with military housing so I can take my skills more easily back into civilian projects.

The projects lack aesthetic qualities and the work is fairly dry, but the experience in managing contracts is great. Leaving architecture I got nearly a 50% increase in pay, get almost every benefit I would want, 3 weeks vacation, flexible hours, long weekends every third week, and plenty of sick and special leave days. There is little stress and I'm working around nice people, not pretentious snobs and design divas that let out a shriek because I got the lighting wrong on a render. Further more my job is pretty much recession proof.

I miss design though, but nothing stops me from doing that in the plenty of spare time I'm given to live a good life. I'm 27, have just bought a small but nice condo and am not living pay check to paycheck.

I'm not trying to rub it in, but I'm just saying there are much better opportunties out there. I may come back to architecture if things improve, but I doubt the salaries will match what I'm in.

May 1, 12 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

@paintitblack

Who care? Do what you want to do. Yous just have one life to live. If you're going to die, tomorrow, what will you do? Are you doing to do things you don't like to do? You won't. Right?

So  just go with your passion and embrace ++s and --s along the way. You will be fine. 

May 1, 12 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

tee002 you buttmuncher you.

from other thread "Why should tax payers foot the bill for those who are financially irresponsible people?"-Tee002

But now it's "you can't put a price on following your dreams". Heh.

May 1, 12 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

If going into architecture is going to put you in a position of financial crisis - then don't do it - do do so is financially  irresponsible - never put self actualization ahead of responsibilities.

But now it's "you can't put a price on following your dreams". Heh.

As long as it's at your expense, and not on someone else's back -

May 1, 12 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

@Rusty Shackleford

Perusing your dream does not equal putting your crap on other people. There are many people who can manage to do so. Look around. Stop acting like clueless cry baby. Grow a pair.

Plus, I didn't say it is all going to be LaLaLand Wonderful. I said there will be ++s and -s, and just need to embrace them like an adult.

May 1, 12 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

As long as you're trying to pursue your dream at the expense of the others, you're never going have happiness deep down in your heart. I want my mind at ease when I go to bed, so I don't need to feel guilty of being an opportunists or an exploiter.  That's what I believe. You can have different opinion and I'm fine with that.

May 1, 12 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Rusty, you can follow your dream if you're born into a position of privilege or other means.  If you are surrounded by people of influence and privilege, all you have to do is look at those around you to see how easy it is to follow your dreams.  Also, growing a pair helps, though I'm not sure how.

Sorry for the derail paintitblack.  Things are going OK for me.  I mostly like the work I do on a daily basis.

I'm not really all that optimistic so I shouldn't be posting here, but I just had to bite the troll bait.

May 1, 12 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

zenakis & tee

here's a dirty little secret about Architecture schools that I'll share with ya. Most of the inexpensive ones are heavily subsidized by various levels of gubbermint.

So "someone else's back" and "expense of others" are meaningless terms that you guys use ad nauseum.  please reconsider your positions carefully.

May 1, 12 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

here's a dirty little secret about Architecture schools that I'll share with ya. Most of the inexpensive ones are heavily subsidized by various levels of gubbermint.

I pay my tax, so feel very comfortable about that. And I will be paying for at least 40 years. Anything else?

May 1, 12 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

I pay my tax, so feel very comfortable about that. And I will be paying for at least 40 years. Anything else?

May 1, 12 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

are people still actually attempting to engage tee in meaningful conversation?

if you are, consider getting yourself a goldfish or an ant farm.

May 1, 12 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Tee if you are OK with your taxes subsidizing education, then what difference does it make when the subsidy is applied (directly to school, or to your debt after you get your degree)?

Explain that!

May 1, 12 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Fine. I'll get a goldfish farm.

May 1, 12 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Oops! I didn't know I was offending parametric bail out crowd. My apology.

May 1, 12 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

umadbro?

May 1, 12 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Getting  a good laugh at cry babies.

May 1, 12 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

re: Architects - Any success stories?

Apparently not.

May 1, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

like this?

May 1, 12 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Sky is falling tomorrow if we don't get next bail out! hahahaha

May 1, 12 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Tee if you are OK with your taxes subsidizing education, then what difference does it make when the subsidy is applied (directly to school, or to your debt after you get your degree)?

Explain that!

Sure!

Subsidizing Education             Acceptable

Subsidizing Schools                Acceptable

Subsidizing Grants                  Acceptable

Subsidizing to wipe out student loan          Ridiculous

@ Rusty

You know what we have been talking about this particular issue yesterday. So, don't pick and choose a few sentences from other treads to justify your comments. May I use  your tactic?

Did you say this one?

I get that just forgiving loans is not exactly a brilliant solution.

What is your position?

I've clear stance from day one. I ain't living on subsidy from other people, and I'm not planning to. I'm not asking others to pay tribute for my loan either.

You've choices to go expensive schools or schools with reasonable costs. Pursuing the dream of becoming an architect doesn't require to go to expensive institutions. If you're hell bent on going to particular school, well then embrace the consequences.

May 1, 12 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

oh come on, we should really be derailing this thread talking about how romney wants to be obama and now says he is the one who saved GM and killed osama.  That's where all the good derailings are supposed to go, didn't y'all get the memo?

as for the OP, personally I am doing ok though many architects are not.  i was careful to avoid debt and was totally cool with picking up and moving to another country several times to get work and education i was interested in.  so far so good - I'm certainly not going to complain.  it helps that i am teaching and not just running an office though.  having options is always good thing.

May 1, 12 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Thanks to everyone who provided relevant responses. I probably have been looking at this forum as the be all, end all of the industry. There's a ton of useful information here though, so its hard not to take everything to heart. I don't have an arch background, but I've never looked at architecture as a goal in and of itself, but more as a means in which to reach other goals. I'm pretty open about the direction ill take with an March, which I suppose helps.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses and feel free to add any more "success" stories :)

May 2, 12 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I've got plenty of success stories about my career in architecture. It's been very good to me and I do quite well with it, even in the middle of a depression. In fact, I've had so few setbacks doing it that I'd be hard pressed to ennumerate them. But it's not for everybody. Many (most) people get into it for the wrong reasons and pursue it the wrong way, and that's a big part of the disillusionment and pessimism about it you'll read here.

May 2, 12 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Most of us hear haven't killed ourselves yet.   I guess that could be considered a success.

Yo!

May 2, 12 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"haven't killed ourselves yet"

Whenever the forums come to a crawl, and there are like 2 posts in a day, I can't help but think, have they....

May 2, 12 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

I'm dating a Kardashian..

May 2, 12 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

-Small firm started about 18 yrs ago

-4-7 employees on avg

- solidly busy for 16 yrs slow in the last yr, but picking up to decent levels again since Jan

- good range of projects sizes and types

- good clients who pay the invoices I send them

- house paid off, school paid off, working on paying off kids education

- good collections of "toys",

- heading to Europe for the first time this summer w/ the family ( would have gone early but the items above were more of a priority )

- decent local success

- i can sleep at night

May 2, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Kevin, he said success stories, not horror stories.

May 2, 12 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

We broke up a few minutes ago anyway....

May 2, 12 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

At least it has a happy ending, then.

May 2, 12 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

But seriously.....success story? In the biz 16 years, I worked for one of my favorite Architects who apprenticed with Fran Lloyd Wright, now I'm doing public school projects..(nothing sexy, but a steady paycheck with good benefits with a global firm. I have almost no debt, I apprenticed, so never had school loans to repay, I'm finally taking my exams, and I live in a house designed by a friend and mentor of mine, who also apprenticed with Frank Lloyd Wright, The house is my favorite building by any Architect ever, anywhere...so, yeah.....all considered, I'm pretty OK with what I've done in Architecture so far.

I rarely have to work over time, I have a great boss, a very nice office, and have my weekends free to work on the house and yard... I dont miss the crazy years, doing commercial work with insane deadlines, and even more insane clients...I made a hell of a lot more money in those days, but I was miserable.

May 2, 12 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: